Pumpkin pie!

FormicaLinoleum

I have made this pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas the past couple of years, and it's always very good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Have ready one 9" unbaked pastry crust.

Blend in blender:

2 cups solid packed canned pumpkin

1 cup non-dairy milk (pref. a rich soy milk)

3/4 cup raw sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 Tbsp molasses

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp EACH ground ginger, nutmeg, and salt

1/4 tsp ground allspice or cloves

Pour the filling into the pastry and bake 60 minutes, covering the edges with foil if the begin to brown too quickly. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate overnight before serving.

I always use rice milk because my mom is allergic to soy, and it's fine that way.

This is what I found Michelle. Hope it helps!

You can use any pumpkin pie recipe but replace it with fresh."

You shouldn't make a pie out of a jack-o'-lantern; you need a sugar pumpkin, which is smaller, sweeter and more tender. Sugar pumpkins can be found at most farmers' markets, specialty stores or large grocery stores.

There are several ways to cook fresh pumpkin, but the easiest method we found was using the microwave. Stab or poke the pumpkin several times with the blade of a sharp knife or fork and place the pumpkin in the microwave for 15 to 20 minutes. To test if the pumpkin is cooked, pierce the skin with a knife or fork (as you would if you were baking a potato).

Remove the pumpkin from the microwave and allow it to sit until cool enough to handle. Cut the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds. Scoop out the flesh. Press the flesh through a sieve. Drain the flesh for about 45 minutes. Our pumpkin was about 3 pounds, a little more than enough for one pie. We liked both pies. But the pie made with fresh pumpkin did have a lighter color and a fresher flavor.

RAW PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:

1. 2 C of Walnuts (Consider soaking and then dehydrating prior to use; they should be dry)

OR 2 C raw hazelnut flour

2. 1 small pumpkin, chopped and peeled

3.8 or more dates or honey to taste

4.Seasonings to taste: cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla

5. 2 Young coconuts (with thick white meat), reserve the coconut water

6. 1 C soaked cashews

7. 1/2 C olive oil (opt.)

8. Approx. 2 T psyllium, dried coconut, or ground flax seeds for thickener

9. Coconut shavings for topping

INSTRUCTIONS

The Crust:

1. Process dry walnuts in food processor, adding dates one at a time, until mixture sticks together.

2. Add cinnamon to pie crust mixture. If using hazelnut flour, simply mix with coconut water until dough-like consistency.

3. Press into pie plate about 1/8 inch thick.

4. You may wish to dehydrate the walnut crust awhile; optional. This is not necessary for the hazelnut crust.

5. Roll leftover crust into balls to make raw candy and roll in carob, coconut or whatever...... use your imagination. Save a ball or two for crumbling over the top of the pie.

The Filling:

1. Fill blender about 2/3 full with small, peeled pumpkin pieces. You will need to repeat this process, to save the motor from overworking.

2. Add coconut meat, cashews, 1/2 the dates or honey, oil, salt and spices.

3. Pour some of the reserved coconut water into blender until pumpkin pieces are about 1/2 covered. Blend gradually faster until well blended and mixture is as smooth as you can get it. (Avoid graininess) Add more coconut water as needed to facilitate the vortex.

4. Add seasonings and dates or honey.

5. Adjust the flavors and pour into a bowl. Repeat this process until all the pumpkin is blended. This usually takes two blendings. Mix them together and adjust the flavors again. Pour about 1/2 the mixture, about 3 cups for one pie, back into the blender and add thickening agent (ground flax seeds are my choice) while blending. When the vortex begins to disappear, stop adding psyllium. The pie filling will continue to thicken, so scoop it immediately into a prepared, cooled pie crust.

For the walnut crust, you may wish to line the crust with a layer of banana to help keep crust from getting soggy (depending on how much flax you use).

Top with crumbled leftover crust or dried coconut shavings.

Cashew Cream Topping: •2 1/2 Cups soaked cashews

•Vanilla to taste

•Dates or honey to taste

•Reserved coconut water

Put it all together and you've got a raw pumpkin pie. Warning this recipe has a lot of fat so use sparingly, it is really a great alternative to those of us raw-vegans who find very little of our own to consume at the thanksgiving table or should I say the poor turkey’s holocaust.

tarzan!!!!!

I cannot believe that eating raw can be so yummy!!!! Okay after reading your recipe, I am seriously considering going raw. I always thought somehow that being raw vegan would MAJORLY limit you, but from the looks of this recipe, it wont be that hard at all for somebody who loves food as much as I do to go raw!!!

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS RECIPE!!!!

it is really a great alternative to those of us raw-vegans who find very little of our own to consume at the thanksgiving table or should I say the poor turkey’s holocaust.

You got that right tarzan .

"Thanksgiving". Ppppfffff. There's a euphamism (spelling?) if I ever heard one. As if to give proper thanks to whatever God or force you believe in, you need to kill and eat a Turkey!

There are many things that piss me off, as people here know, but cruelty in the guise of, or under the justification of, "TRADITION" really really really pisses me off.

RAW PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:

5. Roll leftover crust into balls to make raw candy and roll in carob, coconut or whatever...... use your imagination. Save a ball or two for crumbling over the top of the pie.

The Filling:

•Dates or honey to taste

you should make a vegan version sometime.

Jza

You will notice it says "dates" OR "honey". So it seems to me that there is a vegan version presented by Tarzan. I for one hate honey, and even if i didnt, i still wouldnt use it for the reasons you suggest.

As far as I know, carob is vegan. I hate carob though. I would rather use dark vegan chocolate or cocoa powder.

The honey thing always seems to be a sensitive subjec even among vegans, for obvious reasons. It is, after all, in the end, an animal ingredient.

Jza

As far as I know, carob is vegan.

maybe...a lot of people over here seem to assume carob is vegan, but i've only seen it in the form of a low sugar "healthy" alternative to chocolate, while still containing milk.

Carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua) is an evergreen shrub or tree native to the Mediterranean region, cultivated for its edible seed pods. Also known as St John's Bread, the flesh of the pods tastes somewhat similar to sweetened cocoa, but contains no caffeine or other psychoactive substances and is often used as a hypoallergenic, drug-free substitute. Mixed with saturated fats like butter fat, it is often used to make a sweet confection, considered chocolate-like by some, that is usually referred to simply as "carob."

for decent chocolate get kinnerton or lindt dark chocolate.

Ooohh yes I agree that Lindt dark chocolate is good. But I tend to get the ones that donate a portion to endangered species. i forget what brand it is but you generally see them at health food stores. They have like pictures of animals on them. I just hate supporting huge companies like Lindt and try not to too much.

Okay, so I found some carob chips in my cupboard that are expired cuz I hate carob. But anway, here is the ingredient list:

carob powder, palm kernel oil and/or coconut oil (known carcinogens by the way so not a very "healthy" alternative at all) and soya lecithin. Seems to me then that the carob is vegan (assuming full disclosure of the ingredients on the part of the manufacturer of course, which is an admitedly questionable assumption). But it doesnt seem to be to be very healthy at all with the pal kernel oil - which is like a known toxin and should never have been approved by the FDA as a chemical fit for consumption! But then again, the FDA is not at all reliable for protecting consumer health, and that is hardly breaking news.

RAW PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:

The Filling:

•Dates or honey to taste

you should make a vegan version sometime.

The point has already been made that or dates suggests the vegan option which I follow, I don't use honey myself, and carob pods straight from the tree (mind you) aren't included with milk, raw Chocolate is another alternative which is what I use.

• 3 weeks later...

OOOOOOh. Formica did not lead us astray! I had to post a picture before it even finished cooking. Like every good chef, I did the "finger" test to assure that the pie was not toxic and I'll have you know, my tastebuds were supremely delighted!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/veganmadre/pumpkinpie1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...