Ok, the following is a really tasty beverage made by the javanese people, and it has coconut milk.. ( good for those trying to add some healthy fat to their diet... )
I hope the following ingredients are not hard to find... as you can see it's basically vegan... except for the sugar that you might want to look for a vegan version as well as the red colorant that you might also want to look for a vegan version.. ( but that doesn't really matter,cuz it's only gonna change the color anyways.. no big deal )
-perfect for vegan events. or just drinking by yourself..
* 16 oz. coconut milk.
* 16 oz. Sugar.
* 16 oz. water.
* Maizena, agar agar or holy basil seeds.
* 1 thee spoon salt.
* Cola essence or lemongrass.
* FDC red nr 5. ( vegan version, preferably )
1. Mix the Sugar and water and boil for 15 minutes. Keep mixing during this time.
2. Add the required syrup to the coconut milk and the cola essence (or lemon grass).
3. Add salt and ice cubes.
4. Make a solution of maizena and add this to 16 oz. water, boil to a very thick porridge and seive directly into a pot with cold water.
5. Introduce these pieces in the dawet.
6. Keep always mixing to avoid the coconut milk from separating.
7. Serve ice cold!