Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm 
Gorilla

i usually do cooked oatmeal with a bananna and a scoop of peanut butter and a bit of agave nectar.

before and after accountability photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:47 pm 
Elephant

I use steel cut oat groats. When it's ready I eat it usually with a banana and a little sweetener, which is usually agave, or raw sugar. If I'm out of bananas (gasp) I use cinnamon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:59 pm 
Elephant

Today I ate a huge bowl of oatmeal (always oatflakes and I add oatbran) with a handful of dried cranberries added during cooking. Then I add slices of 1 pear and 1 banana. Delicious organic breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 am 
Gorilla

I'm Your Man wrote:
Today I ate a huge bowl of oatmeal (always oatflakes and I add oatbran) with a handful of dried cranberries added during cooking. Then I add slices of 1 pear and 1 banana. Delicious organic breakfast.

For some reason raw oatbran irritates my throat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm 
Rabbit

My oatmeal:

Steel cut oats
Ground flaxseed
Wheat germ
Diced pear or apple
Banana
Raisins
Cinnamon
Shredded coconut
Top with soy milk

= YUMMMMMM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:41 pm 
Rabbit

Quote:

I've experienced a similar problem ...

I find that the whole hemp protein powder I get (Nutiva) really irritates my throat, to the point of feeling like I might have a sore throat, after drinking it.

Maybe if the oatbran was cooked into the oatmeal, it would be gentler somehow?

I don't really like hemp protein in my oatmeal though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:08 am 
Elephant

kjtten wrote:
Quote:

I've experienced a similar problem ...

I find that the whole hemp protein powder I get (Nutiva) really irritates my throat, to the point of feeling like I might have a sore throat, after drinking it.

Maybe if the oatbran was cooked into the oatmeal, it would be gentler somehow?

That's what I do, I cook it, but less time than the flakes.

I forgot to say I put vanilla (unsweetened) almond milk ! so good.
Oat, vanilla almond milk, and dried cranberries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am 
Gorilla

I have never tried hemp protean. I find also that often times oils irritate the back of my throat along with bananas and avocados. Basically anything that is delicious. I suffer through it though, because no one is going to take away my snack foods.

Post subject: oats rock, throat irritation
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 pm 
Rabbit

first off, i LOVE oatmeal, too, as mentioned above with cinnamon and almonds (i also throw in stevia as well as on occasion cacoa nibs, goji berries, hemp protein or seeds, banana, strawberries....).
as mentioned above i, too, have it in a shake form, which is really good, kinda like a horchata?
lately i been eating other grains in the above fashion, too, like barley and rye.
but on to throat irritation, perhaps this could be an indication of a food intolerance or allergy?
don't wanna burst your balloon :(
i believe that among the most intolerated/allegen-forming foods are soy, citrus, nuts, wheat and gasp... gluten (which is in oats)?
now i am fortunate in that i eat all the above and haven't experienced any ill symptoms or effects that i know of or noticed but maybe it's not the case for y'all that have the probs with it... :?:
just an idea to try on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:21 pm 
Gorilla

I'm a little bit late here but as I am a wake up to oatmeal person too I just wanted to share my mixes.

I always prepare mine with soy milk. Cinnamon is like sacred, and more recently ground flaxseed. What I put in usually depends on my body temperature when I wake up. It's a little awkward... I know.

In cold days: raisins, dried cherries, peanut butter, perhaps some nuts
Warm days: blueberries, any other berries I have; diced yali pear, apple & kiwi

*Thanks to Emmybear for the peanut butter and all the team of PB lovers who supported her suggestion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
Elephant

i like your cold day mix, it sounds nice!

Post subject: Re: mega mass oatmeal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 am 
Finch

first off i love oatmeal, too, as mentioned above with cinnamon and almonds i also throw in stevia as well as on occasion cacao nibs, goji berries, hemp protein or seeds, banana, strawberries. and i Eat egg for protein
http://allnutri.com/pid6937/mega+mass+2000+vanilla.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:01 am 
Gorilla

hey tina your oatmeal sounds good to me excepr for it has egg. the mega mass has also milk and whey. are you stll transitioning? Check out this http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9409 ridiculous amounts of vegan supplements if you're wondering what has got some our people huge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:45 am 
Elephant

For the past couple of days I've been having a mix of oats, grated apple, blueberry soy yoghurt, soy milk and chopped almonds and I warm it up a little and put some mixed berries on top. Yummmm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 am 
Rabbit

DV wrote:
xjohanx wrote:

sat fats are supposed to be good for t-levels which is awesome for good ole muscles :)

This is true. However, saturated fats are not essential, just as cholesterol is not essential - your body makes them. Eating more will not increase your testosterone levels. The only essential fats (those that we need but cannot synthesize) are the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. Mono-unsaturated fats, sometimes referred to as oleic or omega 9 are not essential since your body makes them but you need to be eating enough of the essential fatty acids for the building blocks. It is found in plant sources, such as olives and avocados. However, eating additional mono-unsaturated fats appears to be neutral at the least and beneficial in some aspects.

If you are on a very low fat diet, then you risk fatty acids deficiencies - both essential and non-essential.

And getting back to oats - we like any form of them in this house!

"If you are on a very low fat diet, then you risk fatty acids deficiencies - both essential and non-essential."

Sorry but this is simply not supported via the evidence - where are all these people with fatty acid deficiency? Because you won't find them in the scientific literature, despite what they teach at universities. Essential fat requirement is tiny, and easily met by whole plant foods without added oil, please read this:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/aug/oils.htm

Also, I find the idea that eating saturated fat (or any fat) increases net protein deposition in muscles absurd, and completely unscientific (but perhaps I'm misinterpreting here). Metabolism science shows that insulin is the hormone that pushes protein into storage, and high levels of carbohydrates are what raise insulin levels. If you want to gain fat, eat lots of fat. But if the goal is to increase muscle stores while minimizing fat gain, then you maximize carbs and minimize fat intake (I'm currently working on my second blog post, which will give a good overview of metabolism and MNP and review some of the important studies on the subject).

Quote from that article:
"Essential Fat Deficiency Is Essentially Unknown

In our bodies these plant-derived, essential fats are used for many purposes including the formation of all cellular membranes, and the synthesis of powerful hormones, known as eicosanoids (prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and thromboxanes). Our requirement is very tiny, and even the most basic diets provide sufficient linoleic acid to meet our requirement, which is estimated to be 1–2% of dietary energy.1 Therefore, in practical terms, a condition of “essential fatty acid deficiency” is essentially unknown in free-living populations.*

Essential fatty acid deficiency is seen when sick patients are fed intravenously by fat-free parenteral nutrition. In these cases, correction of the deficiency can be accomplished by applying small amounts of soybean or safflower oil to their skin—giving you some idea of the small amount of oil we require.2 Plan on your diet of basic plant-foods supplying an abundance of essential fats delivered in perfectly designed packages, functioning efficiently and safely.

*Some people talk about a “relative deficiency” of essential fats created by a large intake of saturated animal fats, synthetic trans fats (as found in margarine and shortenings), and/or omega-6 fats compared to their intake of omega-3 fats, and they believe many of our common chronic diseases are the result of this imbalance.1 This is quite different from true essential fatty acid deficiency which would result in: loss of hair, scaly dermatitis, capillary fragility, poor wound healing, increased susceptibility to infection, fatty liver, and growth retardation in infants and children.

1) Sanders TA. Essential fatty acid requirements of vegetarians in pregnancy, lactation, and infancy. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Sep;70(3 Suppl):555S-559S.

2) Marcason W. Can cutaneous application of vegetable oil prevent an essential fatty acid deficiency? J Am Diet Assoc. 2007 Jul;107(7):1262."

Though it is popular in nutrition, there is no evidential foundation for warning people eating whole plant foods about either protein deficiency or essential fat deficiency. Whole plants usually have at least some fat in them. For example people can live on potatoes alone, yet they only have about a gram of fat per potato. Usually the time spent on trying to frighten vegans could have been better spent illustrating our herbivorous biology and how excellent we are at meeting nutritional needs & energy balance via whole plant foods. I've taken high level nutrition course in college, but I decided I could never be a R.D. because I just couldn't handle the obvious influence of the meat and dairy-industry on textbooks and professors (and most RDs just end up feeding sick people the animal foods that causes the illness in the first place, like in a hospital, for example). In fact most nutrition profs at my college had grants from the dairy or meat industry, so it is no surprise that mainstream nutrition bends over backwards to shed doubt upon a plant-based diet! ;) The fact that the body's need for protein & essential fats is so easily met by whole food is no surprise when you consider our herbivorous biology - millions of years of natural selection have perfected the human body's ability to extract what it needs from plant foods. And with B12, bacteria make it, and it is present on uncleaned plant foods, which is how total herbivores meet their tiny needs (micrograms are very small). Besides - eating plants straight from the source probably meant a few bugs in each bite, lol ;). I mean, read the quote I posted, even when fed an artifical fat-free diet, deficiency is cured by rubbing a little oil on the skin! If you use vitamin E oil occasionally, that is probably enough to meet your essential fat needs (soy oil is usually the base)! That elucidates just how well we are adapted to low-fat plant foods.

Last edited by veganmaster on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next