Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: mega mass oatmeal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 am 
Rabbit

DV wrote:
xjohanx wrote:

sat fats are supposed to be good for t-levels which is awesome for good ole muscles :)

This is true. However, saturated fats are not essential, just as cholesterol is not essential - your body makes them. Eating more will not increase your testosterone levels. The only essential fats (those that we need but cannot synthesize) are the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. Mono-unsaturated fats, sometimes referred to as oleic or omega 9 are not essential since your body makes them but you need to be eating enough of the essential fatty acids for the building blocks. It is found in plant sources, such as olives and avocados. However, eating additional mono-unsaturated fats appears to be neutral at the least and beneficial in some aspects.

If you are on a very low fat diet, then you risk fatty acids deficiencies - both essential and non-essential.

And getting back to oats - we like any form of them in this house!

I thought that was the case thanks for that info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:59 am 
Elephant

First, when it comes to health, I try to look at the correlations from epidemiological studies. If one can find (or can't find) a correlation there then I can see the point in looking for info from in vitro studies of the compounds possibly involved.
For health, there are no correlations giving negative results from eating nuts and seeds.

Second. When I started going to the gym in the 80's bodybuilders ate the diet veganmaster suggests. It was rice and and protein (usually in the form of lean fish). They got big back hen and they gat big now (on the atkins diet).

That insulin is just going to "shove in" protein in the muscles sounds a little bizarre for me. I compare it with another analogue from McDougall about the calcium and bone strength. Just eating calcium (and vitamin D) is not going to strengthen your bones since the procedure that the body uses is way more complicated than that. We do not fully understand this procedure.

There have been plenty of smart people that have spent their entire career to study cell metabolism. It's not simple. If it were then we'd have a cure for virus diseases and bodybuilders would get big as houses in a few months. The industry would find a way of selling a glucose pea protein goop to them and they would gladly drink it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:20 am 
Elephant

I agree fully, offense. There is a lot of evidence to the healthiness of many variations on the primarily plant based, whole food diet. You are best off picking the one which works best for you. Currently, I am experimenting with the ultra low fat McDougall type diet. What I am doing is actually a low fat Furhman diet with extra beans and other starches replacing the majority of the nuts, seeds and avocados. It is actually more nutrient dense this way, but the fat content is lower, which may or may not impact the healthiness of it. I don't do the true hunger or shooting for only two meals a day thing, though.

Higher levels of insulin actually increase the bodies efficiency at storing energy in either the form of fat or protein. Veganmaster's theory is that there is very little fat in his diet to store and carbohydrates are stored rather inefficiently as fat, so the body may actually manage to store a more favorable ratio of lean to adipose tissue while overfeeding. Once I tear down a bit more fat (8-10 lbs), I am going to put his theory to the test.

Anyway, we are moving well off the track here, so maybe we should take further comments to veganmaster's MNP thread. If anyone wants to respond to me, just quote what I have said here and move it there.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 am 
Manatee

Thought I'd contribute to a lengthy thread on oarsome oats!

I usually have mine with cold water and I don't liek mixing fruit with other food types so I might be viewed as boring in the oat department!

We Brits call it Porridge though I think this refers to oats when with milk technically speaking.

:heart: Fractals! :heart:

I know it's off topic but has anyone seen the Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton? There's an amazing piece in that about the mandelbrot set and fractal geometry/evolution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:43 am 
Elephant

RobertSupreme wrote:
Thought I'd contribute to a lengthy thread on oarsome oats!

I usually have mine with cold water and I don't liek mixing fruit with other food types so I might be viewed as boring in the oat department!

We Brits call it Porridge though I think this refers to oats when with milk technically speaking.

:heart: Fractals! :heart:

I know it's off topic but has anyone seen the Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton? There's an amazing piece in that about the mandelbrot set and fractal geometry/evolution.

I never saw a thread going so much off-topic than this. :wink: I love fractals, especially if they include spirals. I want to do a short film only with animated fractals showing all the spirals found in nature, from DNA to galaxies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 am 
Manatee

Image Image Image

This guy's work is awesome...for everyone here who thinks their genes run their life and that the nucleus controls what goes on in a cell needs to look at his stuff! I don't know how much good content is available through the Youtube channel though. I will probably be posting up some extracts from his book in the future...in a new thread though :lol:

See, On Topic!

V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 am 
Elephant

Also, oatmeal rocks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm 
Elephant

Eating right now:

1 cup oats
3/4 cup oat milk