Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Creamy garlic and mushroom sauce for your favorite pasta!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:31 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Finally, I am contributing a recipe instead of just asking for one! I love Italian food. Before I was vegan, one of my fave dishes was creamy garlic and mushroon alfredo with pasta. So, here is a vegan version for all you pasta and creamy garlic sauce lovers! Enjoy!

You will need:

Nonstick cooking spray, but a little olive oil is actually better to saute with so f$%k the cooking spray and go with olive oil :wink:
1 1/2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms (expensive but taste the best)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, whichever brand you like best
1/4 cup fresh green onion AND/OR parsley (up to you), but at least one or the other, chopped
Pinch ground nutmeg (if you like nutmeg, which I dont)
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cups flour
3 cups plain soymilk (NOT VANILLA or otherwise flavoured, because you want to taste the other ingredients, not the soymilk)


Instructions
1. Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray and warm over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and green onions, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Place 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup of soymilk in a small jar. Cover and shake well to blend. Slowly pour the mixture into the pan with the garlic and mushrooms, whisking to prevent lumps. Whisk in the remaining 2 1/2 cups soymilk. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and pinch of nutmeg (if you opted for the nutmeg). Simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.

3. Pour over your favourite cooked pasta like penne, or capelini, or gnocchi, and mix gently. In fact, once megan posts that vegan gnocchi recipe, I may just make it with this creamy garlic and mushroon sauce. Gnocchi goes really well with white sauce!

4. Sprinkle some fresh parsley flakes on the entire plate for aesthetic pleasure and enjoy!

of course, delete any of the ingredients that dont appeal to you! When I make this, I actually use way more garlic but then again i love garlic!

This dish is truly a vegan turned pasta and cream sauce lovers heaven.

of course, you cannot eat this every day for dinner and expect to maintain your six pack! :shock:

Editted to note that the parsely is best added at the end as sprinkled on top -- not in the cooking process.

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Last edited by compassionategirl on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:14 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: USA
Ooh. Yummy... :D

_________________
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:32 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:34 pm
Posts: 249
Location: The Great White North
How about a photo?
It does sound good!

Question: I see it mentions 1 3/4 cups flour, but after the first 1/4 cup there is no further explanation of what to do with the remaining flour.

Hmmmm....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:52 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Oops - you're right ljk11, I missed that lil booboo. This was actually a low fat non-vegan recipe for cream sauce that I just took and veganized, so hence the booboo. That extra flour was for some other part of the recipe that isnt important for our purposes here.

So I changed it in the original recipe. Thanks for pointing that out!

Also note everybody that for those of you who dont like the taste of vegan parm cheese, you might try this with a lil nutritional yeast or no yeast OR cheese. Basically, like I said, you can adjust the ingredients to your liking. It is the soymilk, flour, garlic and mushroom that are really the core ingredients. Anything beyond that is optional. It is really good even just with these core ingredients, plus some salt and pepper to taste. :D

Remember adjust the garlic to your liking. The amount of garlic I posted is "average". Garlic lovers can go with a lil extra.

Also note that this makes a lot of sauce. so you may want to cut the recipe in half if you dont want leftovers. This isnt a good sauce to heat up the next day. IT is best fresh, and believe it or not, it really doesnt take that ling to prepare and cook. I would say 15 minutes max, included the time to wash and chop the ingredients!

As for pictures, sorry Crash, I dont have a digital camera... yet. But the final product when I did it, especially sprinkled with fresh parlsey all along the pasta and the sides of the plain white plate with the thick one inch rim, made it look like a restaurant style plate of pasta!

I LOVE food, especially when it doesnt just please your tastebuds, but your eyes as well! :roll:

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Last edited by compassionategirl on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:54 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:34 pm
Posts: 249
Location: The Great White North
Thanks. I've actually done similar stuff with soy milk myself. It turned out good. A bit of dry mustard can be tasty.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:27 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Posts: 774
Location: Boulder, Colorado
My husband has already requested I make this ASAP! Thanks!!

ps -- you may have taken longer to make a contribution, but it was worth the wait!

===

_________________
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 am 
you do know that the word "alfredo" refers to a combo of milk, butter and grana pandano parmagiano: therefore this recipe is nothing like an alfredo..


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:29 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: USA
Jza wrote:
you do know that the word "alfredo" refers to a combo of milk, butter and grana pandano parmagiano: therefore this recipe is nothing like an alfredo..

I don't understand your comment as CG called her recipe "creamy garlic and mushroom sauce." :? However, if you are interested jza there is vegan milk and vegan parmesan in the recipe, so if you are dead set on alfredo sauce, substitute the cooking spray with vegan margarine to get the alfredo combo -- vegan alfredo.

_________________
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:47 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Crash wrote:
Jza wrote:
you do know that the word "alfredo" refers to a combo of milk, butter and grana pandano parmagiano: therefore this recipe is nothing like an alfredo..

I don't understand your comment as CG called her recipe "creamy garlic and mushroom sauce." :? However, if you are interested jza there is vegan milk and vegan parmesan in the recipe, so if you are dead set on alfredo sauce, substitute the cooking spray with vegan margarine to get the alfredo combo -- vegan alfredo.


Thanks, Crash. :D Nice to know that your friends have your back when you arent online.

As you pointed out, I never called my sauce "alfredo" . I said I loved alfredo before I was vegan. And at any rate, it is close enough to vegan alfredo to be called vegan alfredo. More importantly, who cares what I call it. :? So what Jza said makes no sense and thus it is obvious that he has a hard on for me (and I dont mean in the carnal sense) because I dare to firmly assert the position that it is morally wrong - objectively speaking - to kill animals simply for cullinary pleasure.

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:28 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Posts: 774
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Nat, we will just have to whip you with a wet noodle dripping with Alfredo sauce -- opps! My bad -- dripping with Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Sauce.

:roll:


If I can find the shitake's, I will be making this this weekend. Now we must get Megan to post her vegan gnocchi recipe!

_________________
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:24 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Hey Crispy Q,

If you cannot find shitakes, you can use just ordinary mushrooms. I personally prefer shitakes so that is how I make it. But any mushrooms will still be delicious!

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:32 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
CrispyQ wrote:
Nat, we will just have to whip you with a wet noodle dripping with Alfredo sauce -- opps! My bad -- dripping with Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Sauce.

:roll:




:lol:

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:31 am 
compassionategirl wrote:
As you pointed out, I never called my sauce "alfredo"
it is obvious that he has a hard on for me (and I dont mean in the carnal sense) because I dare to firmly assert the position that it is morally wrong - objectively speaking - to kill animals simply for cullinary pleasure.

Code:
Last edited by compassionategirl on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

sure you didn't.

i just calkl you outr on the silly thingds you say because you're a bit of a t-dog.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:44 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: USA
Jza wrote:
i just calkl you outr on the silly thingds you say because you're a bit of a t-dog.

Ya know....usually when a guy "pulls the girl's hair" he usually has a soft spot for her.

Also, per the urban dictionary t-dog means pure untapped awesomeness, so I think you've got an admirer Nat (watch out Tarz). :twisted:

_________________
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:39 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Jza wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:
As you pointed out, I never called my sauce "alfredo"
it is obvious that he has a hard on for me (and I dont mean in the carnal sense) because I dare to firmly assert the position that it is morally wrong - objectively speaking - to kill animals simply for cullinary pleasure.

Code:
Last edited by compassionategirl on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

sure you didn't.

i just calkl you outr on the silly thingds you say because you're a bit of a t-dog.


I have no idea what you mean by t-dog and I really dont care, considering the source. And, my friend, your self-perception is just a lil distorted. Trust me on that one.

Your reaction in this thread, for example, made no sense and was completely uncalled for. I think you need a more productive focus than maintaining a hard on for me. Try animal rights activism. 8)

Crash: Let's just put this as politely as possible and say Tarz has nothing to worry about. :wink:

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group