Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sprout recipes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:34 pm 
Elephant

Lately I've been able to eat more sprouts. I bought a 2# bag of mung and another of lentils at the local Indian grocery for just a few bucks. I soak them for a day in the bottom inch of a mason jar, until the lentils sprout, which takes some hours longer than the mung. Then I rinse them a few times a day for a few days, until the jar is packed full of mature sprouts.

Mostly I've used one recipe, which I still love, but I need a few more. I grate a couple of carrots, chop some celery and red onion, throw it in a mixing bowl with the sprouts,some kosher salt, black pepper, red chile powder, and garlic powder. Next comes olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I toss it, then stuff whole wheat pita bread or top some cold WW cous cous. That's it! I love it and eat it most days.

Post subject: Re: sprout recipes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:33 pm 
Elephant

I've made tabouli using sprouted quinoa a number of times. You basically just substitute in the quinoa using any old tabouli recipe. I don't really use a recipe.

I have made buckwheat sprout pizza crusts in the past that were pretty good. Those are not really quick and easy though.

I imagine you could sub in sprouted lentils or quinoa for just about any cous cous or bulgar recipe.

I like using alfalfa sprouts in pitas/wraps, on salads, or best of all, on a veggie dog!