Tempeh - gotta cook it right!!

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Tempeh - gotta cook it right!!

#1 Postby GregX999 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:26 pm

So, I've tried tempeh a few times before, but never really liked it very much at all. But, finally today, I've learned the right way to prepare it!

The few times I've had it before I would take it out of the package, cut it into strips, and it would be the first ingredient into the pan followed after a minute or two by all the veggies to make a big stir-fry.

But apparently, you need to cook it before you cook it! This time I put it in a little "pan" aluminum foil with a splash of water and a dash of namu-shoyu and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes (flipping it over half-way through). I use a small toaster over for this - it'd be a bit overkill to bake a 3 inch by 3 inch square of tempeh in a regular over. So if you don't have a toaster oven, apparently you can also do basically the same thing in a shallow pan with about a quarter-inch of water in it - and just simmer the water.

Anyway, after baking, I then "cooked" it the way I've done before, but this time it was much more tender and not as bitter and "beany" tasting.

Lesson learned!

Re: Tempeh - gotta cook it right!!

#2 Postby sosso » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Steaming tempeh, as you would with vegetables, can also take the bitterness out of it and allow the flavours to be absorbed. I put it in a steamer for about 10 minutes before marinating and it tastes a whole lot better than if you just marinate it normally.

This is the best tempeh recipe I've ever tried -

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes ... ipeID=2060

#3 Postby beforewisdom » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I've been eating tempeh since I was a teenager and I love it. I don't have a particular recipe, but these 3 tips will make tempeh more enjoyable to eat

1. If you can, get a brand with live cultures
2. Slice the tempeh as thin as you can
3. Combine the tempeh with a very moist food and a light sauce

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

#4 Postby sinisterkungfu » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:03 am

it also works pretty well if you sautee it in vegetable broth for 10-15 minutes before you stir fry it.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”