Thick n Sweet Split Pea Soup

threeloaves

I modified this recipe from susan's blog

Thick n Sweet Split Pea Soup

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced ( I used elephant garlic, and a garlic press )

1 large carrot, chopped

1 cup dried split peas, make sure to rinse well

5 cups water

1 large yam, chopped

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 teaspoons of italian seasoning

red pepper flakes and/or cayenne to taste (optional)

* these measurements are only guidelines - I rarely measure when seasoning. I usually add things as I go. So don't be afraid to play around here *

2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)

freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Coat the bottom of a pot with a thin layer of oil. Saute the onions until they turn translucent. Add the carrots, and garlic cook for a few minutes.

Add the peas along with 5 cups of water. Stir in the yam, and seasoning (minus the salt and pepper)

Bring this to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours. The peas should break down, and become soft.

If you like your soup thinner you can always add water. I wanted to try it a bit thicker so after the peas became soft, and almost disintegrated I uncovered the pot, and continued to cook it for about 10 minutes. It came out really thick - almost the consistency of hummus.

At this point give it a taste, and season with salt, and pepper.

• 1 year later...

yams and carrots are good in that kind of soup

Because otherwise just split peas will taste nothing.

So don't be afraid to put ingredients that add taste; besides mustard, you can put some nutritional yeast) be careful not to put too much otherwise it taste horrible) and Bragg's liquid aminos (or soy sauce) instead of salt. I suggest you put these things in your bowl rather than in the whole soup which is cooking, so in case you put too much, then you can just add more soup to dilute.

Eat this soup with bread so it becomes better proteins.