Malfunctioning potatoes

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

Malfunctioning potatoes

#1 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:50 pm

So I just tried boiling some potatoes for a potato salad made with veganaise.

I cut em up and put em in a pot of boiling water. Came back after about 30 minutes, only to find a pot of cream of potato soup. :shock:

My potatoes malfunctioned. :?
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

Attila
Manatee

Re: Malfunctioning potatoes

#2 Postby Attila » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:55 pm

compassionategirl wrote:So I just tried boiling some potatoes for a potato salad made with veganaise.

I cut em up and put em in a pot of boiling water. Came back after about 30 minutes, only to find a pot of cream of potato soup. :shock:

sounds delicious! 8)

Crash
Elephant

#3 Postby Crash » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:57 pm

:lol: :lol: I'm sure the soup was very good ? :lol:

I think 30 minutes is too long to boil sliced potatoes. I've always boiled the potatoes whole and then sliced them.
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

#4 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:00 pm

Crash wrote:I think 30 minutes is too long to boil sliced potatoes. I've always boiled the potatoes whole and then sliced them.

:lol:

Ahh, okay, good - i was worried that maybe I had bought some defective potatoes which caused them to malfunction under pressure.
:lol: :wink:
But yes, the accidental potato soup was very good. But from this lil calamity was born the knowledge of how to make cream of potato soup. :shock:

Thanks Crash. :D
Last edited by compassionategirl on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

#5 Postby Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 pm

you kow that you use different potatoes for different meals right?

and 30 mins is a bit excessive.

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

#6 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:32 pm

the ones I used were the Yukon Gold potatoes. Is that the best choice for potato salad purposes then? :shock:

btw you got a typo there jza. :wink: :)

FormicaLinoleum
Elephant

#7 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:48 pm

Depending on the size of the pieces, 10-15 min should do it for yukon golds. Just cooked some myself last night. I think I had them in for about 10 min and they just right.
My 2012 Training Log

CrispyQ
Gorilla

#8 Postby CrispyQ » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Liz, Are Yukon golds available in your area all year? We rarely have them, so it's real treat when they do show up.
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

SeaSiren
Elephant

#9 Postby SeaSiren » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:14 pm

And.....when cooking items on the stove or in the oven, you may want to check on them on occassion. :P :D

FormicaLinoleum
Elephant

#10 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 pm

CrispyQ wrote:Liz, Are Yukon golds available in your area all year? We rarely have them, so it's real treat when they do show up.

Hmmm, I don't know. I got mine at Whole Foods, but who knows where they trucked them in from.
My 2012 Training Log

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

#11 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 pm

boiling malfunctioning potatoes for 30 minutes = cream of potato soup from scratch.

lisa_pe
Rabbit

#12 Postby lisa_pe » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:58 am

I find that yukon gold potato cooked quicker than a regular baking potato.

Lisa

Crash
Elephant

#13 Postby Crash » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:32 am

Oops. :oops: Should have included that 30 minutes is too long to boil potatoes if you don't want them really mushy (sorry). Maybe start checking after 10-15 minutes ? Also, I leave the skin on when boiling, but peel it off when they're done. (May help to keep the potatoes intact :wink: , but you still cannot overcook by much.)

You can experiment with other types of potatoes for potato salad (red potatoes, etc.)
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Kathryn
Elephant

#14 Postby Kathryn » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:38 am

I think your potatoes had a mind of their own, and they decided to be soup!

That's one reason why I rarely name any of my own inventions ("soup", "casserole", "stew") until they are done, because they may not turn out to fit the name!

Tarz
Elephant

Re: Malfunctioning potatoes

#15 Postby Tarz » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:15 pm

compassionategirl wrote:So I just tried boiling some potatoes for a potato salad made with veganaise.

The cook malfunctioned a lil bit too.......
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”