Dumplings Recipe (need one that taste great)

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

RAINRA
Elephant

Dumplings Recipe (need one that taste great)

#1 Postby RAINRA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Anyone ever made dumplings? any good ones you have tried?

Karmacharger
Rabbit

Re: Dumplings Recipe (need one that taste great)

#2 Postby Karmacharger » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't have an exact recipe since I made this up... It's not exactly good for you but damnit, it's tasty.

For indulgent dumplings you can try...

Wrappers: Can't find vegan ones without a bunch of crap so I make my own. I use 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 white pastry flour. I once used 100% whole wheat and it was just too dry. Mix with water to form a dough, knead it for about five minutes, cover it with a damp tea towel and leave it for 30 minutes... Roll, flatten and cut using a cup or other round object on a lightly floured surface. Or you can buy some that are pre-made if you want something more exact.

Filling:
-Finely chop any combination of the following in whatever proportion you desire:
-Tofu, nappa cabbage, boy choy, carrots, shitake mushroom.
-Stir fry until soft.
-Add Chinese 5 spice and tamari, braggs or soy sauce to taste and cook another 2 minutes.
-Let cool.

Assembly - Make sure you assemble your dumplings on a floured surface so that they don't stick together. Also leave enough dough around the edges to close.

Here's where the indulgence comes in...

Lightly coat a heated pan with dark sesame oil. Cook on medium heat. Add some braggs, tamari, or soy sauce. When the dumplings are almost done, add a small amount of brown rice syrup on both sides and caramelize.

No dipping sauce required.

It's a salty-sweet recipe that is delicious! If you need something with more precision, I think vegweb had some good ones.
"Nothing is impossible unless you think it is." Paramahansa Yogananda

Return to “Vegan Recipes”