Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What I eat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:35 pm 
Gorilla

I don't like to waste time thinking about food so I like to eat the same things day after day. In order to get enough variety I make a couple kinds of stews.

Minestrone like thing
Boil chopped green onions, pasta, one can green beans, one can peas, two cans dark red kidney beans, one jar of prego tomato sauce, with some olive oil. Eat away. About 100 grams of protein total. Calories probably around 2000.

Or chopped green onions, pasta, two cans green beans (I like french cut), two cans peas, one jar of prego tomato sauce and some olive oil.

Vegan "keilbasa" like thing
Boil one large chopped onion, two green peppers, two cans dark red kidney beans, lots of carrots, some olive oil and maybe some spinach or something else green. When it's well boiled add something tomato. I like a jar of prego sauce plus 3 small cans of concentrated tomato paste. Probably like 80 or so grams of protein.

Antioxidant shake
Lots of frozen blueberries along with either frozen mangoes, or pineapple or as a las resort peaches/apricots. Add a little coconut milk and then a bunch of rice milk. No protein but protein is way overrated. People need to eat more fruit. (Nothing has more antioxidants than blueberries.)

Snacks
Eziekel (sp) sprouted bread toasted in the oven with peanut butter or better almond or cashew butter. A slice of this bread has 5 grams of protein.

Raw broccoli with hummus

Or something from Amy's occasionally; soups/burritoes.

..Oh yeah. a couple spoonsfuls of flax seed oil each day and some liquid B-12 once a week.

Last edited by Jay on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:52 pm 
Stegosaurus

jay, do you know if wild blueberries are better in terms of their health benefits then unwild blueberries or whatever the other kind if called?

I read somewhere that the best is wild berries. Not sure if this is true, and if so, do you know why wild blueberries are better?

Thanks for posting what you eat. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:07 pm 
Gorilla

I've never heard that but it's probably true because factory farming soil is probably a little depleted plus pesticides or whatever. I just use the one brand of frozen blueberries available in Los Alamos. If they have fresh blueberries here it's 50/50 that they are already starting to rot. I don't live in crappy ole Toronto where I would have a hundred choices. :wink: I've never even seen wild blueberries being sold.

I do remember as a kid picking wild blackberries in West Virginia. I had planted a few blueberry, raspberry and blackberry bushes in my backyard when I lived there but they hadn't got really going before I had to leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:10 pm 
Stegosaurus

Jay wrote:
I don't live in crappy ole Toronto where I would have a hundred choices. :wink: I've never even seen wild blueberries being sold.

:lol: :lol: Point well taken. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:02 pm 
Elephant

compassionategirl wrote:
jay, do you know if wild blueberries are better in terms of their health benefits then unwild blueberries or whatever the other kind if called?

Wild blueberries, though they are smaller, have a higher level of antioxidants than domestic blueberries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:04 pm 
Stegosaurus

Kathryn wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:

Wild blueberries, though they are smaller, have a higher level of antioxidants than domestic blueberries.

Hmm, ya that is what I had read too. Interesting. So what exactly is the science behind that if anybody knows? Jay mentioned soil deficiency.

Here, they sell frozen WILD blueberries as well as domestic ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:15 pm 
Gorilla

What about dried blueberries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:35 pm 
Rabbit

I reckon it's a pretty solid diet Jay, and interesting to see what you eat. I agree that eating the same stuff, or very similar stuff is a lot easier than thinking of a variety of things, and with preparation too. I pretty much eat the same stuff all the time, and my body seems to work better when it is getting the same meals every day. As long as they are decent meals then it's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:12 pm 
Elephant

compassionategirl wrote:
unwild blueberries or whatever the other kind if called?

Farmed blueberries presumably.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:40 pm 
i thinmk you'll find the "wild" blueberries are farmed too, but are grown out doors, whilst the others will be grown indoors in a climate controlled environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:19 pm 
Elephant

Jza wrote:
i thinmk you'll find the "wild" blueberries are farmed too, but are grown out doors, whilst the others will be grown indoors in a climate controlled environment.

Not in all cases tho. Sure there is a few blueberrie trees that are genuinely wild, i.e in the middle of nowhere that if people are passing they can eat a wild blueberry. So I think you'll find that gosh, you can get a genuinely wild bluberry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:33 pm 
Gorilla

compassionategirl wrote:
Kathryn wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:

Hmm, ya that is what I had read too. Interesting. So what exactly is the science behind that if anybody knows? Jay mentioned soil deficiency.

Here, they sell frozen WILD blueberries as well as domestic ones.

I guess they've taken certain strains that grow larger and mass planted/farmed them and not surprisingly they have fewer nutrients per a mass basis. That's sort of like what was done with corn I guess and probably a lot of other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:31 am 
Tarz wrote:
Jza wrote:

Not in all cases tho. Sure there is a few blueberrie trees that are genuinely wild, i.e in the middle of nowhere that if people are passing they can eat a wild blueberry. So I think you'll find that gosh, you can get a genuinely wild bluberry.
guess what..they aren't sending people into the bush to find stray trees so they can bag the fruit and sell it...

keep in context t-dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 am 
Elephant

Jza wrote:
Tarz wrote:
Jza wrote:

guess what..they aren't sending people into the bush to find stray trees so they can bag the fruit and sell it...

keep in context t-dog.

Just pointing out whilst that there are farmed 'wild' berries ( or any fruit ), they will still be wild, wild berries/fruit growing. You know, it grows in the wild of its own accord. Marvellous thing is nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:24 pm 
Manatee

Do they stain your teeth?

I started making shakes with blue berries and my teeth are blue after I drink it. I wash my teeth but now I am wondering if it will stain them. Have you drank blue berry shakes for a long time? Any staining?