Eat your greens!

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

CrispyQ
Gorilla

Eat your greens!

#1 Postby CrispyQ » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:41 am

I've always been sort of intimidated by greens. :oops:

Last night I bought some carrots, beets & ginger for juicing. The beets had wonderful greens attached, so I decided to get over my fear of greens & whip something up. Here's what I did & it was quite delish!

--approx 1/4 cup Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
--1 tablespoon tahini
--beet greens
--1/3 cup diced onion
--handful of mushrooms, sliced
--one grated carrot

Remove the big stem from the center of the beet greens. Chop the greens. Pour the Newman's Own into a pan & bring to med-high heat. When it starts to bubble, add the tahini & mix into the dressing till well blended. Add the onion & saute for approx 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients & saute for approx 5 minutes, or till mushrooms are tender.

Serve over brown rice.

Next venture: kale. So if you have a favorite greens recipe, please share!

8)
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

lisa_pe
Rabbit

#2 Postby lisa_pe » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:43 am

I love greens!! Kale, swiss chard, collards...I just cut it in thin strips and sautee with a drop of olive oil and garlic. Sometimes I add ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, tofu or whatever else I have in the house. Sometimes I just add raw to salads and they are great if you add at the very end for a couple of minutes to a pot of soup!
yummm...
Lisa

neil
Manatee

#3 Postby neil » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:43 pm

all hail kale! that was an article i read in runner's world or vegetarian times years ago. i remember reading articles in both that hyped how great kale is.

i often steam it and eat with hot sauce and some vinegar.

there's a local raw deli that serves what they call "live kale". not sure what's in it aside from a lot of garlic. i would love to have that recipe.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." -H.G.Wells

www.funkdc.com

Kathryn
Elephant

#4 Postby Kathryn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:50 pm

My grocery store just started carrying pre=chopped bagged kale (for the lazy cooks---moi!).

Return to “Vegan Recipes”