tomato paste - 2 table spoons, tomatoes - 2-3 sht,

1bulgarian pepper (red and green, possible bitter) , cabbage, verdure,

1 piece of garlic, salt

Preparation

Cut the potatoes, and put it in water.

On pan fry the cutted beet

Cut the onion and carrot, fry with beet

Fry before it got golden colour.

Add the tomato paste and tomatoes, that crushed on grater (without skin), to the pan.

After tomatoes little got density add the cutted bulgarian pepper, add glass of the water, fry it 10 minutes.

Cut the cabbage.

When the Potatoes almost cooked - add the contents of pan to the water, after 2 minutes add the cabbage and much verdure (the parsley, dill etc).

• 1 month later...

it is so hard to find good ukranian vegan food.

I've found a restaurant that makes fabulous borsch but perogies & holubtsi have eluded me.

(I knew I should have paid more attention when my grandmother was making them)

My future MIL gave me her perogie recipe...her dough just happens to be vegan and the filling I just make with Earth Balance instead of butter, and use some nutritional yeast instead of cheese. Apparently she has made me some vegan perogies with just potato, they are in her freezer and she will bring them out to me this summer when they come out for the wedding. I don't know her very well so I was really touched that she went to that much trouble. Her holubtsi just happen to be vegan as she doesn't put hambuger in them (neither do my aunts actually now that I think about it). Which I'm thankful for because I don't know if I would have the patience to make them myself.

One thing I would LOVE to veganize are these...I'm not sure what they're called...you take bread dough, wrap a beat leaf around it, then bake it. To serve you put a cream sauce over top of it. My aunts always made it so I'm not sure if it's authentic, or just some weird Ukrainian-Canadian thing. I just need to master the vegan cream sauce. I've made some pretty good ones...but not quite perfect yet. But since I'm trying to lean out right now that project is on hiatus.

I would also like to make vegan kielbasa. I make vegan sausages a lot out of vital wheat gluten and I've been playing around with the spices to get it close. My fiance is an omni and he eats kielbasa a lot so I make him taste it to tell me what needs to be changed because honestly it's been so long since I've had it that I don't really remember.

Wow JW, once again we've hijacked a thread.

I guess that's what we do!!!

we came across a recipe for vegan lunch"meat"

form it into a loaf and bake it. That might just solve his kielbasa cravings!

I'll see if I can find it. It's much healthier than store bought, much cheaper and IMO tastier.

Yeah, I use a method very close to that but use different seasonings. I've also tried it with baked seitan. I think the steamed kind (like Vegan Dad's) had a better texture. Last time I made a log like that I ate the whole thing within 2 days...all by myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...