Potato kale soup seasoning ideas?

Kathryn

I've got some potatoes. I've got some kale. I decided to invent a potato-kale soup (with some garbanzo beans in, ' cuz I like them).

I've got the basic idea figured out, but need some suggestions for seasonings. (And, yes, I could look in a recipe book, but this is so much more fun!)

You could go simple with salt and pepper or more extravagant with seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, parsley, garlic, dill, basil, etc.

I know you only asked for seasonings, but I found this recipe if you're interested:

Tuscany Potato-Kale Soup

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 large containers vegan no-chicken broth

1-2t crushed red pepper flakes and/or pinch cayenne

5 stalks celery, cut up, including leaves if available

2 white or yellow onions, diced

3 lbs potatoes, scrubbed and diced, (skins on, any type, particularly Yukon gold)

1 bunch curly kale, washed, de-stemmed, chopped

1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or tamari of choice)

1 tablespoon Spike seasoning

1 tablespoon seasoned salt, plus add'l salt if needed

2/3 cup vegan bacon bits

2 tablespoons yellow miso

1 teaspoon each celery seed, anise seed (fennel if no anise)

Directions:

Saute onion, celery, garlic with a little oil in large stock-pot over med heat until they become clear, but not browned. Add potatoes, spices, and Bragg's, saute for 1-2 min more. Add broth and miso while stirring. Add kale, vegan bacon bits, beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, check seasonings, and cover. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Vegan sour "cream" may be added to individual servings, if desired. Also, I like to adjust all the seasonings as it slow cooks, particularly adding cayenne, anise, and salt. I actually also added pinches of Old Bay seasoning, cumin, and salt-free Spike, and served it with vegan parmesan sprinkled on top.

Preparation time: 3 hours

• 2 weeks later...

i'd go for some fennel seed, def. some garlic, some white peppa maybe some mustard and dill as well. are you making it with veg broth or a milk substitute? i made some kale soup the other day except i used lentils instead of taters, but some baby reds probly would have gone great in it.