Vegan Cookbooks

Pegesus

Wondering what are some of the ones you all seem to like.

I myself am very partial to the following: Vegan with a Vengance, Veganomicon, Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Italian Vegan Kitchen, Vegan Table. I also just picked up the 30 minute Vegan one the other day and it has some great recipes in it. But I have to say the Donna Klein series and Vegan Table are by far my favorite both with recipes and the fact that they have serving nutritional information for each recipe.

My favourites:

Veganomicon

Vegan with a Vengeance

Vegan Planet

Eat, Drink & Be Vegan

Vegan Brunch

Get it Ripe

I also have (but don't use as much):

Joy of Vegan Baking

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian

La Dolce Vegan

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

Vegan Vittles

Nonna's Italian Kitchen

Vegan Cupcakes take over the World

Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen

And a few bread baking books and other misc. non-veg ones

Right now from the library I have the Tropical Vegan Kitchen, The Complete Vegan Kitchen, and You Won't Believe it's Vegan. I just ordered Yellow Rose Recipes and I'm excited for that to arrive. I've also heard good things about The Vegan Table.

Oh...I have a lot of vegan cookbooks.

I love Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Brunch. Oddly, Veganomicon never really got under my skin.

Love Vegan Table. I've also never really used JoVB too much.

I like Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, even though its a short one.

And I know we're just talking vegan, but Ani's Raw Food Kitchen is one of my favorite books.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok I have a bit of a PROB-lem with buying these....I LOVE LOVE LOVE vegan cookbooks...

anyway, my two new favs are "Carb Conscious Vegetarian," by Robin Robertson-so perfect for a fitness lifestyle; "Clean Eating," by Terry Walters-just got this one last night-page after page of yummy, super easy to make recipes, all catagorized by season-very cool; and also a new purchase, "The Conscious Cook," by Tal Ronnen-this was vegnews top new cookbook in their recent "best of" review edition-this one has super gourmet recipes, very inventive and yummy.

I also frequently use the old "Cooking the Whole Foods Way," by Christina Pirello-macrobiotic inspired recipes, "Eat for Health," by Dr. Fuhrman, also low carb and totally healthy and delicious; and "Vegan Vittles," by Jo Stepaniak-simple and super tasty recipes.

I am cooking vegan food for a family weekly now and thats given me a chance to really dive into these books and learn a lot of new recipes and get into the hang of cooking daily-its awesome, and SO good for us

• 3 months later...

I'm definitely an Isa & Terry fan. I love Veganomicon, Vegan With a Vengeance, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and Vegan Brunch. The thing is, I'm looking for more ideas for healthier recipes...not that those books don't have some healthy recipes, but I would like more cookbooks that have JUST healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing some of the titles you use, everybody!

Dreena's recipes are usually a bit healthier than Isa & Terry...although I find Dreena's recipes a bit on the sweet side for my tastes so I usually cut out the sweetener, if she is using one.

It's also easy to convert a lot of recipes by replacing sautee in oil with sautee in water/veggie broth. I do that to Isa & Terry's a lot.

Dreena's recipes are usually a bit healthier than Isa & Terry...although I find Dreena's recipes a bit on the sweet side for my tastes so I usually cut out the sweetener, if she is using one.

It's also easy to convert a lot of recipes by replacing sautee in oil with sautee in water/veggie broth. I do that to Isa & Terry's a lot.

Yeah, I usually just use less oil than they say and add some water.

I was thinking about this, and some of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes in World Vegetarian are pretty healthy if you leave out the oil...usually whole grains, etc.

Oh yeah, I own that book too....I make a few things from it sometimes. I like this thing with rice, lentils, tomatoes, and onions, and then you're supposed to make a butter sauce...it's just fine with olive oil, fresh mint leaves, and black pepper though. I used to make that all the time. Filling and cheap!

If you like Indian, I recently got 'The Indian Vegan Kitchen' by Madhu Gadia. I've been very pleased with the recipes I've tried so far - especially the Quick Chickpea Curry (so good!). My fella and I also recently tried our hand at homemade samosas. I know they maybe aren't the healthiest choice, but the batch we made turned out great.

Madhur Jaffrey's is an Indian woman who grew up as a vegetable lover and traveled extensively all over Asia getting to know many cuisines. She has two incredible books ( neither vegan ):

"World Of The East Vegetarian Cooking"

"World Vegetarian"

The vegan recipes in there are incredible and both books are old enough to be in many library systems.

I bought it a few years ago, decided I would never use it and gave it to an Indian coworker who is a fan of Jaffrey's with the understanding that all I wanted was one of the recipes made for me. She forgot all about it and then a few weeks ago I had cilantro rice and yellow dahl waiting for me on my desk at work

Vegan with a Vengeance is really good. I also make a lot of things out of "Vegan World". Also, my mom bought me Alicia Silverstone's vegan cookbook "The Kind Diet". Some of the ingredients are a little exotic, but the recipes sound really good and there are some macrobiotic recipes thrown in too.

Oh yeah, my boyfriend got me The Kind Diet for Christmas and I forgot to mention that. I've already tried out some of the recipes, and they're actually pretty good. I probably would never have tried kabocha squash before I had this book. The black soybean with kabocha squash stew is pretty good. I've also made the adzuki bean with kabocha squash stew a couple of times because I like it so much, and the lentil stew with yams. I don't remember the exact titles, but those recipes are all pretty good and very healthy, as near as I can tell. I tend to throw in twice as many legumes as she says and not use quite as much water.

• 1 month later...

The only book I have is "1000 Vegan Recipes" - but I think I've only made one thing out of it, so far, because there are no pictures! I'm also thinking of getting "The Kind Diet."

What I tend to do is buy a few ingredients, then use Google to find out if there are any recipes that use all of them It actually works pretty well!

http://www.arbourshop.com/images/product_images/product_6560092_0000.jpg

these recipes are incredibly easy, and really good.

and this book isn't ALL vegan, but I'd say about 75% of the recipes are, and I'm sure you can veganize the ones that aren't:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_b3VZ6_BlqMM/SxQdEI_yN5I/AAAAAAAABxw/2_i2Q_IxrHI/s320/FRONTCOVER.jpg.w300h428.jpg

then I have my vegan cupcakes cookbook, of course, that isn't at all nutritious

• 3 years later...

hey guys I'm definitely a newbie to this stuff and need a little bit of help. I'm trying to get more healthy in my life and my family's life but it's been tough. I'm looking for a healthy or vegan cookbook and I found this site http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-recipe-cookbook-ever-top-vegetarian-vegan-healthy-new-cookbook and I think the practical paleo: a customized approach to health by diane sanfillipo is something that i'm really interested in after reading some reviews. I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with the book or suggestions for me. any help would be great!

Have to say I'm disappointed no one's mentioned the Sexy Vegan here. Although he is pretty new on the scene and this is an old(ish) thread. It's my go-to book if I'm cooking for an omnivore I'm trying to convert. And his videos are hilarious. Also he replies to all comments and tweets and is generally a lovely person.

I have a problem with buying cookbooks too though. I'm forbidden (by me) from buying more till I've worked through at least 10 recipes from each of the ones I have.