reipes that last all week! (or close to it...)

thendanisays

I am looking for recipes that will hold for the week. or recipes that can be mostly prepared in advance and maybe thrown in the oven when its time to eat. you see, life has been extremely busy with giacomo and i both working everyday and cooking hasn't been happening so much. so we're working our asses off, only to spend it on convenience foods that are less than healthy. help?

• 5 months later...

- quinoa, quinoa, quinoa !!!!!!

Cook up a huge batch, put it in a container in fridge and add it to meals, or snacks all week long. it is nice hot, cold, whatever. Super good source of all the amino acids, omega 3,6 & 9 and has no fat.

I know its not a recipe as such, but its the best i can do!!

Super good source of all the amino acids, omega 3,6 & 9 and has no fat.

This makes a lot of sense

Honestly when I saw this last night I laughed so hard I almost fell of my chair. I don't know why it's so funny but anyway I totally forgot about it and now when I saw it again I fell of my chair because I lawld way too hard.

I don't have a recipe in my I can share, but I can give you a tip.

pick a couple of recipes from a cook book. Then pick one day where you will have a bit of free time, and dedicate that time to making large portions of food. Just double the recipe in a cook book if you need to. if you don't have any cook books, borrow one from a friend or go to a library and take on out. Or if you want to spend money on one, a great recipe book is "1000 vegan recipe". It is a great book and it is massive. you will bound to find something in there.

As a university student, my life gets really busy, and then when you have work on top of that it can even become more busy. I normally just do what I have suggested, and it works pretty well for me. I make good meals, all home made and it is varied every week.

why is it funny?

It has all the essential amino acids, plus it has omega oils 3,6, & 9.

I guess the way I wrote it implied the amino acids were omega 3, 6 & 9.

Also perhaps you are reffering to the no fat comment when it contains oils? I meant it contains next to no fats, only 5 grams per 100 grams.

I would also say quinoa. Usually i cook about 500 grams of quinoa on sunday evening. It lasts 3 or 4 days, very useful when you have no time. You can also spread some Tamari on it (soy sauce, very strong so don't spread much on the quinoa) and it becomes a bit tasty. quinoa has also 14 grams of proteins for each 100 grams you eat, very interresting 5 minutes meal.

The quinoa fan club is growing

Agreeing with above comments about protein, its not just the quantity thats good, itd the quality too. It has all the essential amino acids, which most plant peoteins do not.

Plus the stuff I get is fair trade so it is helping the farmers a bit too.

Agreeing with above comments about protein, its not just the quantity thats good, itd the quality too. It has all the essential amino acids, which most plant peoteins do not.
Don't get me wrong, I love quinoa, but all plants contain all essential amino acids--they're just not all as well balanced as in quinoa. And you can't simultaneously champion the lack of fat and the inclusion of omega-3, 6, and 9.

I've recently discovered buckwheat, which I use now in place of rice. My stomach can't take rice anymore. I switch back and forth between buckwheat and quinoa. I usually add some spices and beans and throw it in the fridge.

100% agreed

Chris i think the food stats on quinoa show it has vey little fat, barely worth mentioning, but the same packaging also says how high it is in omega oils..... not sure what the deal is there! - my guess is that there is a difference between fat and omega oils?

To be honest, i enjoy fatty foods anyway, and do not try to avoid it at all, so long as its not saturated fat.

Some ideas:

Casseroles. These are easy as hell to cook (throw a bunch of stuff into a casserole dish, put it in the oven, and you're good). There's a lot of versatility with them as well, different ways to season, etc..

Chili. Like a soup, but heartier. I love this stuff, and you can make it different each time. Try adding polenta!

Soup. Soup freezes amazingly well and is very versatile.

• 3 weeks later...