Agar agar???

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Agar agar???

#1 Postby dietcoke » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:15 pm

Good news: I bought agar agar! Now I never have to go without hospital food again. (Actually, I needed it to make pie...which I haven't yet...)

anyhow, my first two attempts have been crap: first I used tea (sweetened) but the "jello" came out as hard as gummy bears, and with no flavor. (diet food...haha!)

then I tried using all natural root beer, and the consistincy was ALMOST what I was looking for, but not quite. Still a little too hard. Unfortiantly, it tasted like shit.

Right now I'm making coffee to make into more jellos. I am really really looking for the same texture as geletin, but I haven't had it since I was eight! Am also looking for good flavors--orange, apple and cranberry being obvious ones (with juice as the liquid) but will coffee and tea work? (Don't worry about it not--the coffee will get into me somehow!!!)

PLEASE help! I told my mom that the agar will last a while, but if I keep screwing up I'll have to get more!

EDIT: my sister has been using the root beer jello to cut into shapes. I can just see the adds now. "Rachel's jello! Fun to play with, but not to eat! Buy now!!!"
Quotes of the year from Tim Reed:

"This is not a recreational sport."

"I am tired of losing. I want to win. I want to kick ass."

"I couldn't give shit if you want to "make friends" or "have a good time." "

#2 Postby _raVen_ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:24 pm

Here is all you need to know about agar, plus a great recipe. Below the recipe is a good chart of agar ratios

#3 Postby FormicaLinoleum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:42 pm

I was just searching for agar in my store today, and I failed to find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.
My 2012 Training Log

#4 Postby _raVen_ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 pm

You can find it wherever seaweed is sold. It may also be near animal gelatin. One of the stores I frequent has it hanging on a stand with the rare dry mushrooms. It's located near the Asian foods.

Do you have an Asian market nearby? They will have it. One I often find is in small packets, "Telephone Brand."

Might even find some in the supplements section.
Here is a list of names you may find it under:

Burma: kyauk kyaw
China: dai choy goh
Indonesia: agar-agar
Malaysia: agar-agar
Japan: kanten
Philippines: gulaman
Sri Lanka: chun chow
Thailand: woon

Here are a few pictures so you can identify it:

NOW brand Agar-Agar

Found mostly at health markets, like Whole Foods, etc.: EDEN brand AGAR FLAKES

TELEPHONE brand AGAR-AGAR - usually in Asian markets. They are small packets.

Here is the way a bar of it can look; it's called "kanten" in Japanese, but it's agar-agar. Okay, I'm not a photographer, but...:P

There are other brand names available depending on what store you go to. The various names above might help, and you could just ask.
More general info: COOK'S THESAURUS -great site, by the way.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”