Agar agar???

dietcoke

Good news: I bought agar agar! Now I never have to go without hospital food again. (Actually, I needed it to make pie...which I haven't yet...)

anyhow, my first two attempts have been crap: first I used tea (sweetened) but the "jello" came out as hard as gummy bears, and with no flavor. (diet food...haha!)

then I tried using all natural root beer, and the consistincy was ALMOST what I was looking for, but not quite. Still a little too hard. Unfortiantly, it tasted like shit.

Right now I'm making coffee to make into more jellos. I am really really looking for the same texture as geletin, but I haven't had it since I was eight! Am also looking for good flavors--orange, apple and cranberry being obvious ones (with juice as the liquid) but will coffee and tea work? (Don't worry about it not--the coffee will get into me somehow!!!)

PLEASE help! I told my mom that the agar will last a while, but if I keep screwing up I'll have to get more!

EDIT: my sister has been using the root beer jello to cut into shapes. I can just see the adds now. "Rachel's jello! Fun to play with, but not to eat! Buy now!!!"

You can find it wherever seaweed is sold. It may also be near animal gelatin. One of the stores I frequent has it hanging on a stand with the rare dry mushrooms. It's located near the Asian foods.

Do you have an Asian market nearby? They will have it. One I often find is in small packets, "Telephone Brand."

Might even find some in the supplements section.

Here is a list of names you may find it under:

Burma: kyauk kyaw

China: dai choy goh

Indonesia: agar-agar

Malaysia: agar-agar

Japan: kanten

Philippines: gulaman

Sri Lanka: chun chow

Thailand: woon

Here are a few pictures so you can identify it:

NOW brand Agar-Agar

Found mostly at health markets, like Whole Foods, etc.: EDEN brand AGAR FLAKES

TELEPHONE brand AGAR-AGAR - usually in Asian markets. They are small packets.

Here is the way a bar of it can look; it's called "kanten" in Japanese, but it's agar-agar. Okay, I'm not a photographer, but...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/WholeAgarSeaweed3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/WholeAgarSeaweed1.jpg

There are other brand names available depending on what store you go to. The various names above might help, and you could just ask.

More general info: COOK'S THESAURUS -great site, by the way.