My Hummus Recipe for Tomorrow!

shawnb222

A good 35-45 oz of cooked chickpeas (I cook them dry cuz canned is bad for the environment )

About 5-6 tablespoons of lemon juice

3 Tablespoons of Tahini (or more if I think it needs more)

3 Crushed Garlic Cloves

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp olive oil

I am going to prepare it tomorrow all in my blender, and I cant wait to try it. I plan on eating a ton of this stuff for lots of calories! lol. I wanna take it to school in tubbaware so I can dip my raw veggies in it. I find hummus a great option for me. I can easily enjoy the delicious hummus in class during my 10 minute break with some veggies, pita bread, or wheat thins.

Hmm, so does anyone have any recommended recipes that I should try?

Hummus with parsley and sun dried tomato.

The classic arabic (I think) is with cummin and paprika.

I totally back adding roasted peppers, it's soooooo good! The red ones also give the hummus a real nice color.

Adding fresh kale is really nice. Usually I make my hummus fat free and the kale really helps the flavor and the texture. Adding kale or other greens is a great way to boost the mineral and vitamin value of hummus.

When you say that you cook your own chickpeas I hope that you also soak them . I never buy canned beans unless I travel because they taste worse, the antinutrient content is higher and I can't adjust the flavor like I want to. A great tip if you're going to soak your own legumes is to add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because it reduces the antinutrient content a bunch. I also let the legumes soak a lot longer then actually recommended for the very same reason. Except for mung beans since they start to sprout, but often 12-24 hours. Just wash away the sodium bicarbonate before you start heating them. Another great thing to do is change the water that you boil them in, specially for beans like kidney and soy. Always rinse afterwards with every bean to get the gas producing protein out of the beans.

Damn sorry for hijacking the hummus thread, you might know all this but I just get excited when I hear more people isn't buying the canned stuff

I love roasted red pepper hummus. One time I made a hummus with sun-dried tomatoes and olives, that was really good. Jalapeno hummus is good if you like spicy things.

I gotta try that! I just made my hummus, and it tastes pretty good. Only thing is that my blender started smoking, and made the kitchen smell like it was on fire. I'm thinking of buying a nice new food processor at canadian tire or wal mart.

The hummus had an alright taste, I think it needed a little more flavouring. I could taste the garlic, should of added a little more lemon juice. I really am down for trying jalapeno hummus, I do really like spicy things.

I could image olives being in hummus, that would taste awesome. I have some green peppers in my fridge, could those be used?

Thanks lobersteriffic!

I totally back adding roasted peppers, it's soooooo good! The red ones also give the hummus a real nice color.

Adding fresh kale is really nice. Usually I make my hummus fat free and the kale really helps the flavor and the texture. Adding kale or other greens is a great way to boost the mineral and vitamin value of hummus.

When you say that you cook your own chickpeas I hope that you also soak them . I never buy canned beans unless I travel because they taste worse, the antinutrient content is higher and I can't adjust the flavor like I want to. A great tip if you're going to soak your own legumes is to add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because it reduces the antinutrient content a bunch. I also let the legumes soak a lot longer then actually recommended for the very same reason. Except for mung beans since they start to sprout, but often 12-24 hours. Just wash away the sodium bicarbonate before you start heating them. Another great thing to do is change the water that you boil them in, specially for beans like kidney and soy. Always rinse afterwards with every bean to get the gas producing protein out of the beans.

Damn sorry for hijacking the hummus thread, you might know all this but I just get excited when I hear more people isn't buying the canned stuff

I have to get roasted peppers, cumin a paprika definately. Especially some kale or other greens. I plan on having hummus almost every day because it's so versatile.

Yes I do soak them lol. I think they have soaked for about 10-12 hours. I never knew baking soda makes the beans more nutrient rich by that affect!, I gotta get some then. I always drain all of the water after soaking and I rinse the beans thoroughly with some cold water.

Man your not hijacking the thread, your just giving some awesome advice! It was a great tip that adding baking soda eliminates antinutrients. Now you made my diet that much healthier! Thanks! lol

So yes, Im gonna buy some of those spices and greens to add to my next batch of hummus. Plus those spices or so common in other vegan recipies that I've come across. I wanna use the hummus for dip for veggies, pita bread, and probably wheat thins (unless their too processed).

I really wanna try chickpea burgers, they look so good! Plus they are way healthier than veggie burgers because the chickpea burgers dont have any added preservatives and chemicals.

Thanks alot guys! Wish me luck on my next batch of hummus!

That's a lot of lemon juice. Try 2 Tbsp at first and add more if you think it needs it. I make a similar hummus but also add 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp dried parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.

Edit: You already made this and thought it needed more lemon? Yikes.

Baking soda doesn't make chickpeas more nutritient rich but decreases the amount of anitnutrients.

I know, thats what I meant, I guess I just didn't say it right, lol.

That's a lot of lemon juice. Try 2 Tbsp at first and add more if you think it needs it. I make a similar hummus but also add 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp dried parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.

Edit: You already made this and thought it needed more lemon? Yikes.

Lol, well my blender started smoking before the chickpeas were completely pureed. So probably the lemon juice is conentrated in one area of the chickpeas. The chickpeas are blended alright though. But I do have to get a new food processor because I am going to be trying some spicy hummus recipes like lobsteriffic and johan pointed out.

But if the lemon juice is completely mixed through, well I guess I just love the taste of lemon!, lol

My blender isn't very powerful and I always had trouble with making hummus. It sounds like your's isn't powerful enough to handle hummus either. A food processor is a great investment. I use mine a LOT. And I find it makes my hummus way creamier. Of course my true wish would be to buy a Vita Mix blender, but that's not in the cards anytime soon, they are a lot of money.

My blender isn't very powerful and I always had trouble with making hummus. It sounds like your's isn't powerful enough to handle hummus either. A food processor is a great investment. I use mine a LOT. And I find it makes my hummus way creamier. Of course my true wish would be to buy a Vita Mix blender, but that's not in the cards anytime soon, they are a lot of money.

Hmm, I guess blenders aren't made for processing food. I can't wait to get a food processor, then my hummus will turn out like whip cream and not dough lol. Yeah there are expensive food processors out there, it would be awesome to have one. I want to get one of those blenders for shakes, where you can blend your beverage in the cup you plan on drinking it from. I really have to get one because pretty soon I'm expecting some vegan protein powders, like hemp, pea, and wheat protein.

Haven't found a hummus I like.

There are many hummus recipes out there that you could enjoy. Just try them out, and learn from trial or error whether or not you like them or not. Possibly you could buy already made hummus at a local grocery store, which in turn would save you from the hassle of having to make a batch and then throwing it out.

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually entirely possible to make hummus in a blender. I use a cheap, single-serving blender, which works fine. The key lies in the sequence of ingredients, which sadly most hummus recipes neglect to inform the reader of. You need to create an emulsion - basic tahini sauce - before putting the chickpeas in.

Start by placing about 1/4 cup tahini, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of water (either plain or what you have leftover from cooking/draining the beans), and 2-4 cloves garlic in the blender. Liquefy that, then add 16oz chickpeas, and some cumin if desired. This should come out perfectly smooth and creamy.

90% of the time, the tahini/lemon/water/garlic emulsion is enough liquid that it'll allow even the shittiest blender to handle the chickpeas (or eggplant, if you're making baba ghanoush). If you're having a hard time getting it to blend thoroughly, pour everything out into another container, wash the blender, make a new tahini/lemon emulsion, and then add your original attempt to that, as well as more chickpeas if necessary.

And no, you don't need to cook the chickpeas to a mush or remove the skins (?!). I use them right out of the can, and with this method, they blend up just right.

If your hummus turns out too garlicky, try adding a couple avocados to the mix. They'll dampen the pungency of the garlic, while bringing some healthy fats with them. Garnishing with olive oil, cumin, and paprika also helps, but I'd do that regardless because it's fucking sexy.

• 2 months later...

Really??! I just buy dried beans because they're way cheaper. So even if you buy canned chickpeas that are organic and all natural, they're still not as healthy as the dried ones? What do you mean by the antinutrient content? Do you have some sources I could look at?

• 3 weeks later...