Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Healthy Recipe Thread (Fuhrman-ish)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:20 pm 
Elephant

Hi all!
I hope I get some good replies to this, as I am kind of lost on my own. :) I am trying to follow a diet that more closely resembles Dr. Fuhrman's plan (not 100%, but closer). Hence, I am trying to find a whole foods way to get a good protein shake after workouts.

Now, I have the taste buds of a 70 year old chain smoker (AKA not much) so the below recipe tastes fine to me. What I am looking for, however, is a way to get more protein and nutrients into the shake without killing the taste. Does anyone have any ideas, or perhaps some whole food shakes of their own to contribute? It would be much appreciated. :)

Current Shake:
1 banana
1 outer leaf romaine
6 oz lite silken tofu
1 oz OJ concentrate (unsweetened)

This comes out to what you see in the file below. The amino acid score is 91, not 9. Don't know what happened there :D

Attachments:
Nutrition Info.png
Nutrition Info.png [ 121.87 KiB | Viewed 1235 times ]

Post subject: Re: Healthy Recipe Thread (Fuhrman-ish)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 pm 
Elephant

Def in support of this thread. There's a video on youtube when Joel F and a lady (probably his wife) does a fig/banana ice cream that's delicious. I do it several times a week with my own additions.
I don't know how much of what the original recipe calls for but I usually take
200 grams of banana. Peel, chop and freeze.
50 grams of dried figs.
This alone tastes great but try adding 30-50 grams of frozen berries (blue, black and raspberries are my favourites). I haven't tried adding nutbutters myself but I bet it's delicious.

Also the "healthy apple crisp" posted here http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/recipes-healthy-apple-crisp-and-sweet-potato-pie.html is awesome. I've done it twice but once I changed the oats for millet and the wheat flour for brown rice flour. Soo taste. I also added ginger bread spice instead of just cinnamon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:15 pm 
Elephant

Hey thanks for the input. The apple crisp sounds great, now I just gotta find a good deal on date sugar. (figs/dates are pricey here)
Johan, do you make any shakes?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:52 pm 
Elephant

A damn I forgot to say I didn't use date sugar. I just chopped up fresh dates instead.

I don't really do any shakes atm but I'm probably going to start drinking smoothies again because I'm having a hard time eating enough calories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm 
Elephant

I am digging this thread. I will try that changes to the crisp recipe changes from johan and the drink from dead horse and give feed back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am 
Elephant

Johan wrote:

Quote:
I also added ginger bread spice instead of just cinnamon.

I cant find the stuff in my grocery store. :( I looked in the baking section and the spice section. :( I must be looking for it in the wrong places. Where do you get it Johan?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 pm 
Elephant

pazios2002 wrote:
Johan wrote:

Quote:

I cant find the stuff in my grocery store. :( I looked in the baking section and the spice section. :( I must be looking for it in the wrong places. Where do you get it Johan?

Sweden. And gingerbread is HUGE here, specially around christmas.
It's pretty simple to do yourself. Cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger (all grounded/powdered). Ginger is the least essential (despite the english name, in Sweden it's called peppercake). My favourite "home mixed" is 1/2 cinammon, 1/4 cardamom and 1/4 clove.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 pm 
Elephant

xjohanx wrote:
pazios2002 wrote:
Johan wrote:

Quote:

Sweden. And gingerbread is HUGE here, specially around christmas.
It's pretty simple to do yourself. Cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger (all grounded/powdered). Ginger is the least essential (despite the english name, in Sweden it's called peppercake). My favourite "home mixed" is 1/2 cinammon, 1/4 cardamom and 1/4 clove.

You can also just buy some pumpkin pie spice. They are essentially the same thing. I've never seen gingerbread spice in America, but pumpkin pie spice is widely available.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 am 
Elephant

sounds good I will give both ideas a try. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am 
Elephant

I'm enjoying my own version of these as I am writing http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/skinny-figgy-bars.html

I replaced the oats with millet flakes and the grinded oats with brown rice flour (same weight as the millet). I didn't use any agave but replaced it with (more) appelsauce in the crust and just water in the filling. Also I didn't use oil I just baked it on a baking sheet. Not ideal for weight loss at all but a pretty healthy quick energy dense snack. Fuck Atkins, let's carb!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 pm 
Elephant

cubby2112 wrote:
You can also just buy some pumpkin pie spice. They are essentially the same thing. I've never seen gingerbread spice in America, but pumpkin pie spice is widely available.
Cardamom is actually pretty hard to find in the US.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 am 
Elephant

I just made sort of a pudding/mousse thing with baked sweet potatoes, fresh dates and cocoa. It tasted something like heaven and was damn filling. Last weekend I also baked a cake on sweet potato, cocoa, apple sauce, brown rice flour and baking powder it was so damn good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm 
Gorilla

chrisjs wrote:
cubby2112 wrote:

Really? I see cardamom everywhere. Do you mean cardamom pods, or ground cardamom? I usually see ground cardamom in the baking/spice aisle of any grocery store, but cardamom pods I've only seen once at an Indian grocery store.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 pm 
Elephant

Adena wrote:
chrisjs wrote:
cubby2112 wrote:

Really? I see cardamom everywhere. Do you mean cardamom pods, or ground cardamom? I usually see ground cardamom in the baking/spice aisle of any grocery store, but cardamom pods I've only seen once at an Indian grocery store.

Pods. I've never needed ground cardamom but have found a few recipes that call for the pods.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm 
Elephant

I am really happy with my results today. The recipes turned out great, and they are actually tasty AND healthy. Amazing I know. Also note, these puddings can be used as a filling for pumpkin pies!

Pumpkin Pie Pudding
I used a hefty amount of spices for this recipe, perhaps too strong for most, so the spices are really to taste...
1 package silken lite tofu (12oz or so)
1 can / 400g pumpkin (no salt added)
1/4c date sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp nutmeg
Process everything in a food processor/blender, refrigerate, and enjoy!

The nutritiondata.com analysis is a little off b/c they don't list date sugar (what I used) so I just used the entry for maple sugar, which is very nutritionally similar...

Blueberry Pudding
Be sure to dry the berries if you are rinsing them, and drain as much of the water out of the tofu as you can beforehand. This recipe has a tendency to be more runny than the pumpkin one...
1 package silken lite tofu (12oz or so)
1 package blueberries (6oz)
1 tbsp date sugar
1 tsp lemon juice (or more to taste)
Process everything in a food processor/blender, refrigerate, and enjoy!

Again, the nutritiondata.com analysis is a little off b/c they don't list date sugar (what I used) so I just used the entry for maple sugar, which is very nutritionally similar...