Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hemp Flour
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 am 
Rabbit

I'm a budding vegan and I'm following some recipes from "The Thrive Diet" and I was wondering, some recipes use Hemp Flour. Is this the same as the Hemp Protein Powder I buy for my protein shakes?

Post subject: Re: Hemp Flour
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 am 
Stegosaurus

If i understand it correctly hemp protein powder would be the protein isolated out of the hemp seed, where as hemp flour would contain the whole seed or most of it depending on if it is a "whole flour". Not sure if it can be interchangeable in all recipes.

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:47 am 
Rabbit

Ah ok, thanks Joe :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:06 pm 
Elephant

VJ is right but hemp protein concentrate (most common form of hemp protein) is very similar to the hemp flour and the two can often replace eachother in recipes. Hemp protein isolate (less common) has totallt other properties in my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 pm 
Elephant

I just use ground hemp seeds (use my food processor's mini part for grinding up whole seeds).

What recipes you using?

For buckwheat pancakes I sometimes get lazy and just put in whole hemp seeds. Makes them more crunchy but does the job haha.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm 
Rabbit

Has anyone tried mixing some hemp flour with water and drinking it ?

I was thinking of buying some to try this, just because its ridiculously cheap, (compared to protein powders) and high in protein/ good fats...

(As far as I know ? Does anyone have the basic nutritional stats for hemp flour ?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am 
Gorilla

Hemp seed protein powder contains 45% total protein, the most usable vegan source. It is also very digestible, with 65% being a globular protein called edestin and 35% albumin protein, more than any other plant. Hemp seed contains all 21 known amino acids. Contains undetectable amounts of THC, the addictive and doping substance found in hemp, so you can be assured there will be no negative effects.

Hemp seeds are the highest protein food on earth (besides algaes). Hemp protein is high in bioavailable (absorbable) protein with 65% globular edestin and 35% albumin protein (globular), having also a high quantity of sulphur-bearing amino acids such as methionine and cystine. These can be immediately used by the body to build strong hair, nails, muscle and connective tissue. It is also the only known food with the exact ratio of essential fatty acids (1 part omega 3: 3 parts omega 6) which are strong antioxidants and help burn fat. It is also the highest known source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), a super omega 6 fatty acid with anti-inflammatory properties.

I drink it in water all the time, it's gross.Add a tiny bit of stevia leaf powder to it and it tastes way better.The flour has as much protein as most protein powders so i don't see why people would want isolates and concentrates.It would cost way more too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:11 am 
Rabbit

Cheers for the response..

However, I believe we were actually talking about "Hemp flour" which is still quite high in protein and probably better for you than other flours, but different from the hemp protein powders ( and about the 10th of the cost...)

I couldn't find the basic nutrition stats for it on the net but might try looking a bit more...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 am 
Rabbit

Cold Fission wrote:
The flour has as much protein as most protein powders so i don't see why people would want isolates and concentrates.It would cost way more too.

.. Hah whoops, just read that bit!

Cool so you drink the flour... I didnt think it would taste that good, dont't worry.

Any idea about the grams of protein/carb/fats per 100g of it ? Also, you live in Aus too right, where do you buy it from ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 am 
Gorilla

I get it cheap from www.puredelighthemp.com.au for $10 a kilo or you can get more for cheaper like 10 kgs for $110.They sell it legally because they say it's for dog food etc.The laws against it are wrong anyway.

The exact nutrition info varies but the protein is between 30g and 45g per hundred grams.

Here's the aminos per 30g
Amino Acid Profile for Hemp SeedAmino Acid Per 30g Serving
Alanine 540mg
Arginine* 1494mg
Aspartic Acid 1240mg
Cystine 204mg
Glutamic Acid 2097mg
Glycine 546mg
Histidine* 342mg
Isoleucine* 492mg
Leucine* 828mg
Lysine* 486mg
Methionine* 276mg
Phenylalanine* 552mg
Proline 510mg
Serine 612mg
Threonine* 417mg
Tryptophan* 147mg
Tyrosine 387mg
Valine* 609mg

They also sell it at edenhealthfoods.com.au but the price is 10x as much even though they get it from puredelighthemp in the first place.