Meal ideas, not puddings!

DaN

Hi all,

I came on here looking for some meal ideas, but found nothing but desserts!

You are a bunch of fatty cake lovers! (joke!)

If anyone has suggestions for simple meals that are vegan plus wheat free (seriously intolerant now)

So far I am eating:

1. Heinz Baked Beans (beans in tomato sauce - its an english thing) with mashed potato (using sunflower marjerine in the mash)

2. Mung bean burgers, chips, and salad (if anyone wants the bean burger recipe let me know - they rock!)

3. Rice, mixed lentils, & mixed veg stew, with Garlic Bread (made with wheat free bread - rice & tapioca flour)

4. Pasta dish (wheat free pasta) where I add all sorts of random things, depending on mood.

Any suggestions would be awesome, just give me 1 meal idea of what you eat in a week !!!!

We Americans and our Canadian neighbors also have baked beans...just an FYI

From what I hear, Chinese and Indian are quite popular in England. What about a little Mexican? Here's my twist on a white trash recipe called "Frito Pie."

INGREDIENTS

-Frito's or other corn chips

-Vegan ground "meat," reconstituted TVP, or crumbled firm tofu or tempeh

-Black or pinto beans (you COULD use your Heinz beans if you so desire)

-Mashed potatoes

-Vegan butter

-1 can of diced tomatoes

-1/2 large onion, diced

-Diced jalapeno and/or chipotle peppers (optional)

-Vegan cheese or vegan cheese sauce (optional)

-Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder

-1 cup rice of your choice, cooked.

-Fresh cilantro (I think you blokes call it coriander? This stuff: http://teluguabhiruchulu.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/cilantro-de.jpg )

-1/2 diced bell pepper (I think you blokes call it capsicum? These: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ceZKjb50a0c/SLYZyJba80I/AAAAAAAAA7w/3YpRxsaaHE0/s400/capsicum.jpg )

-1 avocado

-Vegan sour cream (optional)

TO DO

Preheat oven to 205 degrees C.

Mash potato with vegan butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix with rice and avocado. Set aside.

Cook onion and capsicum together in oil until softened. Set aside.

Heat and mash the beans with chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

Heat and season the meat/tofu/TVP/tempeh with chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

In a non-stick casserole dish (or bread pan), layer the potato/rice/avocado, mashed beans, canned tomato, onion/capsicum, jalapeno/chipotle, vegan meat/TVP/tempeh/tofu, vegan cheese/cheese sauce, and top with corn chips. Bake in oven about 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve topped with fresh torn cilantro and vegan sour cream.

If you can't get some of these ingredients, that's fine. I mean, it's hearty and delicious anyway even if you can't get some of these. I made this about 3 weeks ago for my flatmate and my boyfriend. My boyfriend is vegetarian, my flatmate an omnivore. Both loved it! Feel free to top with hot sauce.

riddick, thanks for the meal idea, it sounds yummy!

I will definately give it a try one day soon.

Now all i have to do is dig out those baked beans, i know i put them somewhere around here....

It certainly was delicious! I also found a picture I had taken of it:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs188.snc3/19566_1093597356155_1713187978_214001_7527008_s.jpg

If you want to do Mexican without having to go as in-depth, make some easy vegan nachos.

INGREDIENTS

-Tortilla chips of your choice

-Whatever else you like on nachos (PRE-BAKING: sliced black olives, jalapeno, capsicum, tomatoes, onion, refried beans, whole black/pinto beans, TVP or other meat replacer if you want one, vegan cheese or nutritional yeast cheese sauce; POST-BAKING: avocado, fresh coriander leaves, lettuce [i prefer spinach], vegan sour cream)

TO DO

Preheat oven to 205 C. Place tortilla chips in a baking dish (using a pie tin works well) and top with whatever you like from the pre-baking list. Bake 10 minutes, then top with whatever you like from the post-baking list.

And a delicious salsa: pico de gallo

INGREDIENTS

-1 large tomato, diced and seeded

-1 medium onion (white, yellow, or red), diced

-Half a bunch of fresh coriander leaves (about 1 handful), chopped

-Lime juice and salt to taste

TO DO

Mix all ingredients, let sit for 5 minutes before serving with tortilla chips, crackers, or on any Mexican dish.

Oh, while I'm at it, try salad rolls for gluten-free goodness!

INGREDIENTS

-Salad roll wrappers*

-Mixed greens, lettuce, spinach, or whatever leafy green you like

-Fresh coriander leaves

-Fresh mint leaves (optional)

-Sweet chili sauce

TO DO

Prepare the salad rolls*, then serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping.

*This YouTube video shows how to soften the wrappers and wrap the salad rolls. In Vietnamese cooking, they're called "spring rolls," but often that term is confused with Chinese spring rolls, which are made with a thin paper made with flour and water that is then deep-fried. These wrappers are made from tapioca starch, so your gluten issue shouldn't act up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTOgdljDwa0

Let's see...uh, try this Pineapple Ginger Stir Fry.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs188.snc3/19566_1093597396156_1713187978_214002_2223176_n.jpg

INGREDIENTS

-Baked or extra firm tofu, cut into cubes

-Cubed pineapple (if using canned, get cubed in own juice)

-Capsicum, diced into bite-sized chunks.

-Tomato (seeds removed), diced into bite-sized chunks

-Onion, diced into bite-sized chunks

-Cooked rice of your liking

-Soy sauce (use wheat-free Tamari to keep it gluten-free), to taste

-Ginger powder (or fresh ginger, minced), to taste

-Black pepper, to taste

-Sesame seeds (about 3 tablespoons...but really, as many as you'd like)

-Sesame oil, to taste

TO DO

Combine soy sauce, ginger, black pepper, sesame seeds, and sesame oil in a bowl JUST large enough to contain the ingredient list. I said these are all "to taste," but start with mostly soy sauce, then add in some sesame oil until you found a nice taste blend. Add in the pineapple juice (again, to taste), then the ginger, pepper, and sesame seeds. Then add in all the other ingredients EXCEPT THE RICE, and ensure they're well-coated. Whatever proportion you want is just fine. If you like lots of tofu, then put in lots of tofu. Prefer onion? Go for it. Up to you. Once you mix it, cover and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour (up to 48 hours).

Heat a large pan (or wok) on medium high heat. Add in oil (sesame oil is great here) and add in the marinated ingredients, making sure not to dump in the marinade. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes or so, and then add the rice. Add in some more of the marinade to flavor the rice to your liking, then cook until heated through and serve.

Oh, and try this without the bun (or use a gluten-free bun)...chili "burger."

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs195.snc1/6580_1031695808655_1713187978_101030_956164_n.jpg

INGREDIENTS

-1 portabello mushroom cap per person, rubbed with a little oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper on both sides

-1 can diced tomatoes

-1 can black or pinto beans, drained

-1 small can fire roasted green chilies

-Diced jalapeno or chipotle (to taste...optional)

-Diced polenta or whole-kernel corn

-Sliced black olives

-Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and chili powder to taste

-1 bun per person

-Hummus

-Mixed greens, spinach, or whatever other leafy green you like

TO DO

Combine all ingredients except the mushroom, greens, hummus, and bun into a pot and cook until heated through.

Cook the portabello mushroom as you like (grilled, pan-fry, whatever) until heated through.

Heat or grill the buns, spread with hummus on both sides (just go with me on this), place portabello mushroom cap on the bottom bun, then slop some chili onto it, then the leafy greens, then top with other side of bun.

If you don't feel like the bun or don't want to do (or can't find) gluten-free buns, make this into a chili salad by slicing the mushroom, using lots of leafy greens, and omitting the hummus (or try mixing it into the chili). Then top the greens with the chili and sliced mushroom. Crush some tortilla chips onto it if you like.

TO DO

First: make the marinade. Making it in the bowl without adding anything is important so you can taste it. This is especially important if you're using meat. Soy sauce, pineapple juice, ginger powder, and sesame oil.

Second: added the ingredients. I have chopped green bell pepper, pineapple, tomato (with seeds removed), onion, and baked tofu into bite-sized pieces. This can also be used for kabobs.

Third: After cooking through and softening up a bit, I added cooked brown rice and heated that through (it was cold, leftover rice) and served. Because I used no raw meat, I was able to add more of the sauce during cooking to adjust the flavor.

This may be simple and no frills in comparison, but it's quick and good (at least to me).

I just make some quinoa and season it with some pepper and garlic and top it with some steamed broccoli and black beans. Simple but it works. Hope maybe this helps ya.

Thanks for the great recipes riddick, I will definately make them.

None of what i eat is anywhere near as fancy, i am a bit of a boring eater im afraid, using simple ingredients and meals etc.

Trying to not be so unimaginative moving forward

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a blog i post all the meals i make up onto. I started doing all the cooking for my family since i went vegan so i could fix what i would eat and my dad is usually gone on trips and my mom hates cooking so it works out perfectly. I generally cook one dessert a week but everything else is healthy easy vegan meals. I don't have any recipes with fake meats or cheeses and stuff because I live in China so i can't get those and i don't really like them. The link is in my signature if you would like to check it out.

• 1 year later...

Here are couple:

Red rice:

1 onion

2-3 cloves garlic

1 carrot diced

frozen peas

frozen corn or a can of corn

handful of broccoli florets

tempeh (sliced and then halved)

1 can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup short grain brown rice

1 - 1 1/2 cup veggie broth

2-3 Table spoons of nutritional yeast

Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil. When fragrant add the brown rice. Sauté for a couple minutes on low/ medium. Add carrots. Add veggie broth and water. You need about 2 cups of liquid to start. You can do half and half veggie broth and water or closer to 1 1/2 cups of broth and a 1/2 cup of water. The more broth the sweeter it turns out. Let simmer for a bit. Add the tomatoes and other veg except brocoli. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Add a tsp of onion powder if you have it and a table spoon of chili powder. Add tempeh. Keep the lid on and still occasionally until the liquid is absorbed and the rice cooks. You may need to add a bit more water towards the end to fully cook the rice. Add broc toward the end so it stays crunchy. Add nutritional yeast to taste and eat.

Best bean stew:

Bean stew is a quintessential vegan staple. Here is the basic recipe. I like making it with black or kidney beans but you can use any kind. You can also use the same recipe for lentils. I prefer dried beans but they take forever to cook. So you can use canned. If you are using dried beans, soak them for a few hours before cooking (or overnight), boil them for 5 minutes and then rinse them before starting. Lentils don't take long to cook and don’t need to be soaked or boiled first. Once your beans are prepped set them aside. You can use pretty much any vegetables. Below are my favorites. I tend to make a big vat on the weekend and eat for two days. But they also freeze well.

1 onion

1-2 cloves garlic

1 jalapeno (if you want them more spicy)

2 carrots rough chopped

1 bell pepper diced

1-2 zucchini

mushrooms

veggie broth

tsp to tablespoon of crushed red pepper

big tablespoon of chili powder

big teaspoon of cumin

1 bay leaf

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in your big pot. Add crushed red pepper. Add carrots and then other veg. Once they have simmered for a bit add the washed beans and veggie broth to cover. Add bay leaf. Add about another inch or so of water and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer. Add chili powder and cumin. Continue to simmer stirring occasionally. Add more water as necessary until well reduced and thoroughly cooked. Black beans take the longest. But are well worth it. It you use dried beans it will be a couple of hours. Serve over steamed quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat or barely.

If you want a more of a chilly flavor you can add more spice and a can of diced tomatoes. If you want a sweeter flavor you can add peeled and diced sweet spud or butternut squash. I’ve also been adding broccoli lately to boost the green content (frozen broc florets work fine). When I use a white bean instead of black, kidney or pinto, I always add squash and skip the cumin. I also usually swap kale for broccoli.

It I do lentils instead of beans, I leave out the Mexican flavors (tomato, chili and cumin) and add a curry powder instead. Lentils only take about 30-45 minutes to cook.

I have a blog i post all the meals i make up onto. I started doing all the cooking for my family since i went vegan so i could fix what i would eat and my dad is usually gone on trips and my mom hates cooking so it works out perfectly. I generally cook one dessert a week but everything else is healthy easy vegan meals. I don't have any recipes with fake meats or cheeses and stuff because I live in China so i can't get those and i don't really like them. The link is in my signature if you would like to check it out.

I don't see a signature.