How do you cook with tofu?

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Cold Fission
Gorilla

How do you cook with tofu?

#1 Postby Cold Fission » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 am

I have only tried it twice and it was basically in stir frys, which i don't like anyway.

What are really good ways to use it?
I love you (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡

djshrew
Gorilla

Re: How do you cook with tofu?

#2 Postby djshrew » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 am

Tofu scramble is my favorite way, here's my favorite recipe: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes ... cipeID=110
I usually use spinach instead of mushrooms.
I've also turned this into a quiche my blending it and putting it into a pie crust and baking it.

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#3 Postby lobsteriffic » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:38 am

I really like baked tofu. I marinate it first (you can marinate it in whatever you like, my basic is some water, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, thyme, sage, rosemary, and some lemon, but whatever). Then bake it on one side for about 10 min. or so on 400 F, then flip it over and do the other side.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#4 Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 am

Silken tofu can be blended to add creaminess to soups or shakes, and helps make a great creamy pie filling....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

LauraJ
Rabbit

#5 Postby LauraJ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:13 am

I second tofu scramble. It's one of the only ways I like tofu.

chrisjs
Elephant

#6 Postby chrisjs » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:33 am

julia
Manatee

#7 Postby julia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 am

I really love those quiches: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mi ... iches.html They're amazing!

I also eat tofu as a filling for crepes. (Make some crepes, then blend firm silken tofu (or usual tofu with some soy milk), add some raisins, agave sirup and about 2 tsp of cornstarch or arrowroot for one pack of (silken) tofu, fill the crepes with that and add some on top of the crepes, bake for about 15 minutes and you have a delicious meal :)) Here's a pic of it: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1637/dsc00269d.jpg I topped it with a carob-sauce..

mysticxian
Rabbit

#8 Postby mysticxian » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 pm

I stir fry marinated tofu in a blend of soysauce, garlic and onion powder. Or, pan fry marinated tofu in a blend of water and soysauce then fry with a little canola oil. Add fresh garlic or garlic powder, onion powder, hot curry powder or other spices.

I make chocolate mousse with silken tofu by blending up the tofu and melting dark, sometimes flavoured dairy free chocolate on low and then blending that in with the tofu. You usually have to add some agave syrup to it for sweetness. I recommend vanilla flavoured agave.
If you are what you eat and you don't know what you're eating, do you know who you are?

vege
Gorilla

#9 Postby vege » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Many people find tofu taste too bland but I liked it from the first time. When I was eating cheese before, I also liked the young "tasteless" ones. So, i don't marinate tofu usually, I just cut it in 1/2 cm x 1/2 cm cubes and add it to my grains when I cook them. My favorite is with quinoa. This one is with quinoa, dried tomatoes, Herbes de Provence, olive oil, garlic and onion.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gsop_3
Rabbit

#10 Postby gsop_3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 am

The simplest recipe for tofu I know of (here in China) is diced with chopped chives and some toasted sesame oil (salt to taste). Though, I do have to say that tofu in China is TOPS! you can just eat it straight up and it's great! Tastes nothing like what we have in the States. There's also an endless variety of tofus and recipes...as I research and test some more, I'll add them to the thread.
One thing to mention that I usually do with any tofu is press out as much water as I can unless it's being scrambled or put into a blender drink...

ICanDoThis
Manatee

#11 Postby ICanDoThis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am

It's good with lemon, oregano, garlic and brushed with olive oil. Then I put in in the toaster oven. I've also used it in chili.

Vege: your quinoa / tofu recipe looks good!
Kick Ass & Conquer!

Jessifly
Gorilla

#12 Postby Jessifly » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I recently had some tofu that I thought was amazing, I was told it was just firm tofu that was coated in nutritional yeast and fried, I was impressed at the simplicity for something so tasty.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive. What the world needs is people who have come alive."
~Omar "PureHeart"

http://www.jessiloveslife.com

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#13 Postby beforewisdom » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm

There is an old book that is most public libraries call "The Book Of Tofu" fantastic recipes, very easy and fascinating account of the history of tofu in the front. The book will show you how to make most common things.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

Robbie Dagger
Finch

#14 Postby Robbie Dagger » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:45 pm

I've tried grilling with it. I marinate it with some lemon and adobo. It came out alright, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone made anything really good with tofu on the grill. Usually I just cut it up and dip the cubes in peanut butter, ginger, or soy sauce.
Once you believe, the truth and a lie are quite the same thing. ~ CC

LesArgotiers
Rabbit

#15 Postby LesArgotiers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Cubed, baked and lathered in BBQ sauce.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”