5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

Baby Hercules

OK, this is a delicious competition to see who can come up with the fastest, easiest, tastiest entree or dessert that takes less than 15 minutes to make. I'm as lazy--I mean professional and pressed for time--as the next person and I've got a few quickies that take care of those hunger pangs, immediatamente. I'm willing to bet this forum is a gold mine for them.

Rules:

1. Must be totally vegan. Duh.

2. Can be cooked or fresh, as in you can use an ingredient that's already cooked, like bread, baked potatoes, etc. but total prep time must be under 15 minutes.

3. No prepackaged stand-ins: you can't just sprinkle a few things on Amy's Vegan Lasagna and pass it off as your own creation, you lazy bum. Commercial toppings are OK, though, like Daiya Cheese, Parma!, bottled vegan salad dressings, etc.

4. 15 minute prep time means one person, not a team of twenty working for 15 minutes like a Martha Stewart segment.

5. Extra points will be awarded for totally raw and/or very portable dishes, for instance things you can easily take hiking or to work.

6. You have to have had experience with this dish, no copying off vegan websites without taking it on a test run first.

7. Must be made of ingredients we have a reasonable chance of finding in our local grocery store or farmer's market. No imported white truffles from Romania or anything.

7b. Must be ingredients we can afford without selling a kidney.

8. Tell us if you've shared this dish with others at a party, etc. and gotten rave reviews. Bonus points allotted if the party-goers didn't know it was vegan.

Voting will be completely arbitrary and subjective based on current whimsy and personal tastes. The point of the competition is to shamelessly brag about your own stuff and then plagiarize your friend's. Notice how we all win, though?

OK...ready...set...GO!

Edited by Baby Hercules

STUFFED DATES

Sweetest, softest unpitted dates you can find

Whole, raw pecans

Fresh mint leaves

Take a pecan and wrap it in a mint leaf. Stuff the whole thing inside a pitted date. Chew and moan with happiness.

I brought this to a raw foodist's potluck once. The plate was cleared in less time than it took to make it.

Baby Herc

Raw pasta

Sauce:

Fresh Roma Tomatoes

Fresh Garlic

Fresh Cilantro

Fresh Basil

Sun-dried Tomatoes

Add ingredients to a blender. I make it different everytime.. I usually use about 3 roma tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, a small clump of cilantro, a pinch of basil, and I use sliced sun-dried tomatoes, so I usually just put in a fork-full, or enough to make the sauce thicken.

The pasta is whatever vegetable you want. I use a zucchini, and I use a potato peeler to make fettucine noodles! Put the sauce on top and VOILA!

I eat this all the time because it's quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS!!

I cook a lot. I usually make things with more than 5 ingredients though.

Same here.... thou last night I did make some vegan homemade quinoa pasta, can't believe how easy/fast it is to make. (Still gonna tweak it) Prep time was under 15 mins if you don't count drying the pasta....

1 cup quinoa flour

1 cup all purpose flour

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water

-Put flours in food processor to mix; then add oil and water.

-add little flour to each side of the dough and put it threw your pasta machine

-then dry the pasta for 20-30mins

-bring water to boil and cook pasta for a minute or so

-top with Marcina raw pasta sauce

Raw pasta

Sauce:

Fresh Roma Tomatoes

Fresh Garlic

Fresh Cilantro

Fresh Basil

Sun-dried Tomatoes

Add ingredients to a blender. I make it different everytime.. I usually use about 3 roma tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, a small clump of cilantro, a pinch of basil, and I use sliced sun-dried tomatoes, so I usually just put in a fork-full, or enough to make the sauce thicken.

The pasta is whatever vegetable you want. I use a zucchini, and I use a potato peeler to make fettucine noodles! Put the sauce on top and VOILA!

I eat this all the time because it's quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS!!

This sounds awesome, Marcina, I can't wait to try it! Especially in the heat we've been having.

Baby Herc

15-minute (or less) kidney bean and spinach curry

Okay, this has six ingredients; it's the best I can do. This is quick and easy to make, it looks pretty, and is also handy when the refrigerator is empty. Serve with a few of slices of bread to mop it up and you'll have a meal with a full amino-acid profile and just over 30g protein per serving. It also has the merit of being very cheap; I live in Finland (where food is very expensive) and I can make this dish for under €1,50, so it ought to be even cheaper to make in other countries.

Ingredients: (serves 1)

1. 1(-2) clove(s) of garlic, finely chopped

2. 100g frozen spinach

3. 1 (420g) tin of kidney beans, rinsed (255g drained weight)

4. 1 tbsp curry powder (or more, it's up to you really)

5. Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.

6. 100g(ish) Bread, such as pitta, or just ordinary boring toast.

Instructions:

1. Heat a little olive oil in a wok or frying pan, sauté the garlic for a minute or two, until golden.

2. Add the curry powder to the garlic and oil, stirring constantly.

3. After the powder has been mixed with the oil and garlic, add the kidney beans and frozen spinach. Cover and heat through, stirring frequently to prevent the spinach sticking to the bottom of the pan. I usually find that it's hot after around 5-6 minutes.

4. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and heat for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.

5. Serve with a little olive oil drizzled on top with some warm bread on the side.

Enjoy!

15-minute (or less) kidney bean and spinach curry

Okay, this has six ingredients; it's the best I can do. This is quick and easy to make, it looks pretty, and is also handy when the refrigerator is empty. Serve with a few of slices of bread to mop it up and you'll have a meal with a full amino-acid profile and just over 30g protein per serving. It also has the merit of being very cheap; I live in Finland (where food is very expensive) and I can make this dish for under €1,50, so it ought to be even cheaper to make in other countries.

Ingredients: (serves 1)

1. 1(-2) clove(s) of garlic, finely chopped

2. 100g frozen spinach

3. 1 (420g) tin of kidney beans, rinsed (255g drained weight)

4. 1 tbsp curry powder (or more, it's up to you really)

5. Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.

6. 100g(ish) Bread, such as pitta, or just ordinary boring toast.

Instructions:

1. Heat a little olive oil in a wok or frying pan, sauté the garlic for a minute or two, until golden.

2. Add the curry powder to the garlic and oil, stirring constantly.

3. After the powder has been mixed with the oil and garlic, add the kidney beans and frozen spinach. Cover and heat through, stirring frequently to prevent the spinach sticking to the bottom of the pan. I usually find that it's hot after around 5-6 minutes.

4. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and heat for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.

5. Serve with a little olive oil drizzled on top with some warm bread on the side.

Enjoy!

Mmmmmmmmm! Sounds good, keinumatti!

Baby Herc

Vegan Parmesan Cheese

If any of you have tasted the vegan Parmesan cheese, Parma!, I think I've gotten close to the recipe....

3 C. raw walnut pieces

2 1/2 C. large flake Red Star Nutritional Yeast

1 1/2 t. sea salt

Put all in food processor and blend evenly. Keep in fridge in airtight container and use in place of Parmesan cheese on everything. I've already tossed it in with pasta and tomato chunks and it was AWESOME! It goes well in sandwiches, too. Marcina, this would be a lovely topping for your raw "fettucini and pasta sauce" creation.

Nutritional yeast really packs a nutritional wallop, too, especially in B12: http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.htm

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

The recipe in Yellow Rose Recipes is really good if you are looking for a parmesan. I've never tried Parma but I hear it is really good.

Yum! My library didn't have "Yellow Rose Recipes," so I hope my local bookstores can come through. Or you could post it here...wink, wink!

Baby Herc

macrobiotic couscous cake:

warm 2 cups of natural, unsweetened apple juice (organic the best!)

Pour 1 cup of couscous in the juice, and cook for couple of minutes (you want this couscous to be overcooked!). Put some cinnamon, vanilla, or what you like.

Cut the fruit (strawberries, or cherries, or...) and put it in glasses. Pour warm couscous over the fruit. Refrigerate and the eat!

Another version is to pour the warm couscous in baking tin and refrigerate. Then cut in cubes and pour over the warm fruit sauce. Like raspberry sauce - cook raspberries for 2-3 minutes and add some sugar if you want. Decorate with mint leaves.

It looks like this. This will be in my future cookbook

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1024/44851158120359327141730.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The recipe in Yellow Rose Recipes is really good if you are looking for a parmesan. I've never tried Parma but I hear it is really good.

Yum! My library didn't have "Yellow Rose Recipes," so I hope my local bookstores can come through. Or you could post it here...wink, wink!

Baby Herc

My cookbooks are currently packed and hundreds of miles away from me ( ), otherwise I would! If you actually still remember in October I can post it! YRR is kind of harder to find than other cookbooks. It's okay...you probably should check it out before you buy it. I'm kind of lukewarm on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Vegan Bodybuilder's Orange Julius

One whole orange, peeled and seeded (unless you're weird)

1 T. organic orange juice concentrate

1.5 C. soy milk (or nut milk)

1.5 t. vanilla extract

Heaping scoop plain or vanilla protein powder

Blend and devour. You can add a sweetener of your choice; I favor stevia. A few added ice cubes make it nice and cold for hot summer days.

Herc

• 1 year later...

BLACKBERRY MINT SMOOTHIE

1 C. fresh blackberries that are frozen solid (Pick them and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 3 hrs.)

3 T. lemon juice

1/4 C fresh mint

1 C. water

sweetener of your choice

This is an unexpectedly awesome combination of flavors. The mint takes a back seat to the sweetness of the berries but adds a fresh punch in the end. I use agave syrup to sweeten.

WARNING: purple tongue alert!

Baby Herc

1 eggplant, 2 zucchinis (i used local ones, with white skin, not italian ones with green skin, but it does not matter), 1 onion, 3 tomatoes, 2-3 red peppers - cut everything in chunks and put in baking dish. Cut some smoked tofu in cubes and add, along with some olive oil, turmeric, very little cinnamon, agave syrup, salt, pepper. Bake until done!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8479/dsc00005uj.jpg

Vege, you got the best recipes. I'm coming to your house for dinner! Six good for you?

Black and Blue Smoothie

1 C. frozen blackberries

1 C. frozen blueberries

1 banana

1-2 C. water for consistency of your choice

(opt.) A few scoops of protein powder to turn it into a meal

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Baby Herc

bring the smoothie!

ok, here is another one:

hemp spread

1 cup hulled hempseeds

juice of 1,5 lemon

salt, pepper, garlic, thymian, basil

Grind hempseeds finely, mix in lemon juice and the rest of ingredients and that's it!

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2237/59938548.jpg