Wake up/Breakfast/Morning Gym Shake

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Payne
Rabbit

Wake up/Breakfast/Morning Gym Shake

#1 Postby Payne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 am

I'm thinking of starting to go to the gym first thing on a Wednesday morning before work (about 6.30am). If I eat before exercise I usually like to leave myself an hour, however I don't want to be up at 5.30 and I don't fancy working out on an empty stomach. My breakfast is usually overnight oats with sultanas, pumpkin seeds and cinnamon.

My thinking at the moment is to have a shake before the gym, work out, then go to work and have my normal breakfast when I get to the office.

With this in mind, does anyone have a decent shake recipe I can make the night before preferably, leave in the fridge and drink when I get up. Limitations on this are I don't have any plain protein powder and I don't have a ton of ingredients at the moment so any suggestions may be for future reference.

I have plenty of kale, spinach and bananas at home at the moment. I have some almond butter and some impact whey protein (apple pie and custard flavour!!!) I'm finishing off before I get a vegan powder. I also have some walnuts and pumpkin seeds. I appreciate this probably won't help much on this occasion, but you never know!

Cheers in advance.

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Re: Wake up/Breakfast/Morning Gym Shake

#2 Postby C.O. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Check the recipe section, there are many. Also the new trend in shakes seems to be adding quinoa, interesting texture though.

Payne
Rabbit

#3 Postby Payne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:17 am

I had a quick look the other day before posting but was after something I coul dhave made for this morning and I didn't have access to all the seeds and such. I'll go back over those recipes now and stick some of the bits on my shopping list next time and give them a whirl!

Cheers!!

EdensDemise
Manatee

#4 Postby EdensDemise » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 am

before the gym- i go to workout at 9am- i make a big breakfast before. but if you have no time you should try energetic shakes, so put in the shake: nuts(or if your blender is not strong enough put nuts butter-almondbutter, peanut butter etc), banana, soy-ricemilk and protein powder. are a good combination of fats as reserve, carbs as energy and proteins.
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

Payne
Rabbit

#5 Postby Payne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 am

That's great thank you. Our blender seems to have an issue with frozen fruit or anything too hard. It manages to unclip the blades, but I've got a coffee grinder I can use to grind up my nuts. We usually have bananas and have almond milk instead of soya. So once I get a new plain protein powder, I'll give this receipe a go.

Will just have to play about with the quantities/ratios of each.

Thank you very much!!

tombourlet
Finch

#6 Postby tombourlet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 am

I try and have a 'pea' based protein shake first thing in the morning, the flavour is a bit different to any other whey you would have had, but you definitely get used to it - I've been using this one recently http://www.sncdirect.com/reflex-nutriti ... otein.html
I have it with a banana and some oats and then have it again with same ingredients straight after my workout

Return to “Vegan Recipes”