MARMITE? What is that?

vege

I am translating a text for my job, and it mentions Marmite...

Never heard of. What is the taste? I found something on Wiki, but I would like to hear from you. What is it similar to? Looks like barley malt, but they say it is salty...

Thanks

they recommend it in Men's Health as the source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, AND B12! as "brain boosting" food

I translate Men's Health in Serbian for money, and I read lots of bullshit there, sometimes its painful to translate, but I have to earn money

OK, so Marmite is like shit. It looks like barley malt on picture, so I will just put barley malt instead, there's no Marmite here to buy anyway...

Thanks!

I LOVE marmite! Great for cooking! Yummy!

If you have problems using soy sauce in food, you can replace it with marmite (please note it's sticky and not liquid) and you'll have the same kind of umami taste but with different twist.

• 10 months later...

I am an Aussie, so I will clear it up briefly.

Marmite is a sandwich spread similar to vegemite, being that it is savoury and extremely salty.

They are both very low in calories per serving; around 10 calories.

Vegemite is known as the "Aussie Spread" and consists of essentially salt and yeast.

I grew up with vegemite and can say it tastes great on toast with some sunflower butter, however use it sparingly as it has a few hundred milligrams of sodium per serve.

Marmite is the English version of vegemite.

Both contain B-vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12).

What varies between them essentially, are the levels of sodium and sugar.

It's usually just used as a spread. I have seen it in recipes... but they're generally "novelty" sort of junky recipes put out by the company to try to sell more products... Vegemite is becoming a popular condiment and cooking ingredient in Japan apparently.

veganza.com

Marmite is the English version of vegemite.

Since you are below the equator, do you spread it counterclockwise? Just teasing.

Do people cook with this stuff or is it just for spreading? I admit to a lack of knowledge.

Baby Herc

Marmite and Vegemite are both used as a spread just like peanut butter is. I wouldn't imagine it would taste too good cooking with it though. It can be done however, as I have a friend who made puff pastries with vegemite inside of them.

• 8 months later...

OK, i finally tasted it! its gross if you eat it with spoon definitely, but good cooking MSG replacement:)

i marinated very thinly sliced carrot in marmite, pepper, garlic and basil, and then used it on pizza "instead" of ham. It was pretty good!

next thing i found out is i mix some tahini, water, marmite and spices: very nice bread spread!

I think i am hooked! I need new jar of marmite asap!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...