Pressure Cooking destroys proteins?

wrestler

1) I pressure cook my lentils. It saves time. Quite often, lentils get slightly overcooked that they become mushy sort of. Do the proteins get altered in quality /quantity , when cooked in this way ?

2) Also, if i cook 100 gram lentils (raw weight) in a pressure cooker & consume the entire amount in one sitting, do i get in 22-25 grams proteins. (Data everywhere says that 22-25 grams proteins are present in 100 grams raw weight of lentils).

Kindly clear these doubts . Thanks in advance !!

I pressure cook all of my beans except for lentils (I find they don't seem to save that much time in the PC, but that's just me). As for them destroying proteins, I don't really know about that. I can't really imagine it altering them anymore than straight boiling would, as it's not that much higher of a temperature, and because you're still only using water (as opposed to vegetable oils, coal/some other charring method), I can't really imagine undesirable compounds forming while they cook. I say keep pressure cooking.

I pressure cook all of my beans except for lentils (I find they don't seem to save that much time in the PC, but that's just me). As for them destroying proteins, I don't really know about that. I can't really imagine it altering them anymore than straight boiling would, as it's not that much higher of a temperature, and because you're still only using water (as opposed to vegetable oils, coal/some other charring method), I can't really imagine undesirable compounds forming while they cook. I say keep pressure cooking.

Ya Odid, i too think that pressure cooking using minimum water ( not too much) shud not be forming any new compounds, denaturing proteins etc ... Hope so

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have read that microwaves reduce protein bc they slightly change the shape of proteins. I have never read nor heard this about pressure cookers. I think you good.

ya, microwave denatures proteins - i have read thus.

& pressure cooking doesnot destroy proteins in any way. I have confirmed it.

Tx to all who have replied.