MF's recipes...

Mini Forklift

Hi guys ~ I'll add some more recipes in here as I come up with them.

Came up with this recipe yesterday afternoon, thought it turned out pretty good. The chili and spices gave it a bit of a kick

JIM'S WINTER WARMER (serves two)

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/uploads/post-60904-0-23808300-1366491029_thumb.jpg

INGREDIENTS

4 x large field mushrooms

1/2 an onion

1 x tin chickpeas

400ml coconut milk

2 x tbsp coconut oil

250g firm tofu

2 x cloves chopped garlic

2 x bay leaves

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp tumeric

1/4 tsp ocean/sea salt

1 x red chili

Palmful of fresh baby spinach

COOKING

Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil, add in a clove of chopped garlic and stir fry the tofu until yellow and crispy. Once cooked, remove and put aside.

Add the second tablespoon of coconut oil and throw in the the second clove of chopped garlic along with the mushrooms and finely sliced onion. Stir through and cook on a reasonably high heat for a couple of minutes. Next, throw in the chickpeas and your spices (the bay leaves, cumin and tumeric) and cover the pan while you cut the red chili; slice in half, remove the seeds and then finely dice. Once done you can throw that in the pan and add in the coconut milk, salt and the tofu that was fried up earlier.

Re-cover your pan, turn down the heat and leave it to cook through for about 5-10mins.

Mix in the baby spinach just before serving and you'll have a beautiful healthy dish that will fill and warm you up.

No, haven't heard of them. Is he based in the North or South Island?

I'm a boarder although I haven't got the chance to hit the slopes for years; used to head over to Davos at least once a year when I was staying in Zurich. Still have my old Burton board that I bought 10+ years ago haha!

• 10 months later...

HEALTHY MUESLI

INGREDIENTS

4 cups of jumbo oats

1 cup of whole linseeds

1 cup desiccated coconut (this is for flavour only)

½ a cup of each of the following:

• Pumpkin seeds

• Sunflower seeds

• Diced apricots

• Raisins

• Sesame seeds

• Almonds

COOKING

Mix together. At night soak 7 tablespoons of the above muesli in a liquid of your choosing (water/juice/milk/soymilk etc). Alternatively just mix up the seed/nut mixture and store in a glass jar – then soak two tablespoons of this overnight on its own to add to a muesli mixture of your choice. Soaking your oats overnight and eating them raw means a higher bioavailability of the oat protein, better absorption and oats only when raw, deliver prebiotics to the gut.

Add any other ingredients you like – chia, fruits etc. Just before eating, chop on top your favourite topping – bananas, blackcurrants, yoghurt etc and add 3 Brazil nuts to receive your daily RDI of selenium and 3 walnuts for your brain health. Your brain is made up of over 50% DHA.

There are differing views about the ideal and perfect ratio of daily essential fatty acids. What we do know is the Japanese have three times more Omega 3 fats in their bodies than the average Westerner. Vegans, who eat more seeds and nuts, have twice the Omega 3 fat level of the average American. Hemp seed oil is the only common seed oil that meets all known fatty acid needs. Another way of meeting the needs for both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats is to combine seeds. Pumpkin seeds and walnuts are good sources of Omega 3; while linseed is richest in Omega 3, containing around 50% Omega 3 and 10% Omega 6. Avocado, sesame seeds or tahini, pumpkin seeds and walnuts are richest in omega-9. One measure of sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and two measures of linseed totaling around two tablespoons will almost guarantee your daily intake of essential fatty acids. Most people choose to grind their seeds but I am not a fan of this practice. I prefer to keep them whole and soak them overnight, hence this recipe.

This recipe is markedly different to the types of muesli you can buy from the supermarket; if you are in any doubt just skim through the list of ingredients and you will see what I mean.

PROTEIN PANCAKES

INGREDIENTS

* 6 x egg whites/vegan egg white substitute

* 50-100g oats

* 1 x banana

* 1-2 x scoops protein powder

COOKING

Mix all of the ingredients together. Pour into a non-stick pan with a little oil if needed and cook on a very low heat with the pan covered.

Cook for around 5 minutes, make sure you flip over when it starts to bubble on top.

Either eat it there and then or leave overnight in fridge and toast the following day (or it's pretty good cold as well)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't know how this one would turn out but man, was it good! I got about three decent sized meals out of it...

** Mixed raw veges lightly stir fried in coconut oil and crushed garlic

** Added in a punnet of cherry tomatoes (squashed them in a bowl first haha)

** 1 x tin of pinto & red kidney beans in a chilli sauce, add and mix in and simmer for 10-15mins

** Add in 4 x chopped up vegetarian sausages (already cooked before added to the pan)

Serve up after squeezing a lemon over the dish

• 3 weeks later...

Tofu 'Spag Bol'

10584_525499234154188_653958306_n.jpg

Serves: 4

Preparation: 20

Cooking: 20

INGREDIENTS

250g tofu (frozen and then defrosted, this gives it a 'mince' texture)

2 onions, chopped (optional depending on if you're a vegan that eats onions or not)

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Oil for frying

1 can tomatoes

1/2 cup water

2tsp arrowroot

50mls tamari

Pasta for 4 people (they do a great quinoa spaghetti if you can get hold of it)

Grated nuts (my alternative to parmesan cheese)

Pepper to flavour

COOKING

Fry onions and garlic in pre-heated oil for 5 mins. While onions and garlic are cooking, cook pasta in a separate pot. Squeeze the tofu so it is not too moist and add into pan with tomatoes and arrowroot mixed with the water. Continue to cook and continue stirring until thickened. Pour over cooked pasta and eat ~ delicious and filling MF.

• 2 weeks later...