How to make leeks, not in soup

C.O.

I bought leeks the other day for the first time and cooked them up in a skillet with several other vegetables and soy sauce. The leeks tasted terrible to me. I enjoy trying new foods and different ways to cook and eat them. Does anyone have a good recipes that include leeks? I am not much of a soup person and most of the leeks recipes I found when searching involved them being in a soup.

-Dylan

• 1 year later...

Dylan,

You have to try grilling them!!!!!!!!!!!! All you have to do is wash them, then throw them right on the grill. Start them up on top until they are soft then move them down to get those nice grill marks. I like to baste them with a little olive oil / sea salt / pepper and a paint brush.

They're so sweet and good this way you'll eat the whole damn thing in about 6 bites...

• 3 weeks later...

Alton Brown (Food Netwok) did an episode of Good Eats on leeks. Specifically, he used them to make "onion" rings. I guess leeks do not have the sulfur content of onions, and therefore they will not pull away from the batter used to coat them. He spent a long time talking about how deep frying is not as bad when done properly. In all, they looked awesome, but I will admit I haven't tried them. Hey, look... I found the episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHmdlJTA4M