Mock Chicken Seitan

putt_77

I found this recipe that for a mock chicken seitan that I really like. Here's the breakdown:

177 grams Vital Wheat Gluten

21 grams Almond Meal/Flour

1 tbsp(18 g) Soy Sauce

1 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast

1 tbsp Olive Oil

Plus some poultry seasoning

It's a bonus because even my 11-year old will eat it.

I really like it because for every 28g it's 17.5p/5.4gC/3.2g fat, which is a terrific protein to carb ration when eating vegan.

I am not too familiar with the nutrition of it in terms of bodybuilding, like some say tofu should be limited because of its estrogenic effects (though I've read conflicting information about that). Any comments by those in the know on the pros/cons of seitan?

• 2 weeks later...

What's wheat gluten? Can't say I've came across that but it just doesn't sound overly great ?!

I say if you like tofu/soy you should just eat it, the xenoestrogen's in there are minimal enough not to have any effect on us on a hormonal or physical level. Personally, soy and tofu intake is something that's never concerned me even as a male powerlifter that obviously needs to maximise my testosterone

• 1 month later...

You might like this one too...chickpea cutlets- this recipe uses chickpeas instead of the almond flour.

My first try at seitan turned out awful.. ie. rubbery gluey texture. To avoid my 'mistake' I recommend making the 'patties' fairly thin. The chickpea recipe turned out much better for me. I froze the leftover cutlets and reheated them (frying pan) for various meals... they go great with mashed potatoes.