Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tofu??? What to do????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:15 pm 
Finch

Would anyone like to help me out here?

I just need a crash course into how to prepare it. From what I understand, a good way to do it is to press it until its just a block, then marinate it. Now I'm sure this is VERY basic, and I would like to know EVERY SINGLE way to make.....just kidding...just a few basics would be more than enough.

Thanks in advance

Brandon Boyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:30 pm 
Elephant

are you buying soft or firm tofu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:33 pm 
Finch

Firm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

I use firm tofu and slice it up into sections shaped liked rectangles, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. They are kinda like "fish sticks" in shape. I bake them in the oven for 30-40 minutes and then put something on them like soy sauce, nutritional yeast, salsa, etc.

I also cut the firm tofu up into little square blocks and saute them with veggies in a big wok.

So I mostly bake it or saute or fry it on a pan.

I also get some tofu that is already prepared and flavored too, since plain white blocks of firm tofu are not the most tasty thing in the world.

Give it shot, for years tofu was my favorite thing to eat. I still eat tofu, but not quite as much as I used to. I eat a lot of beans, veggies, fruits, and nuts these days.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 am 
Elephant

I dont cook my tofu i just cut it into slices and eat it plain or i throw it in with whatever im eating like veggies, rice, beans, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:19 pm 
Rabbit

I feel like I keep saying it, but check out www.vegweb.com
Great site for recipes and the like. 8)

The fantastic thing about tofu is how versatile it really is. It can pretty much be whatever you want it to be. Stir-fried, baked, whatever. Also, don't forget about all of the other "meat" alternatives out there. You've got lots of exploring to do, and I happen to think it's really fun to find great new foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:00 pm 
Elephant

I bought my very first block of tofu today! (I've never bought it before because I was completely clueless about what to do with it) This stuff looks really weird, fresh out of the package.

Using suggestions from this thread and from vegweb.com, I have concocted a most delicious teriyaki stir-fry.

YUM! :D

Is tofu ever made of any substance besides soy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:54 am 
Rabbit

You can add tofu mate to it as well. I mix with tofu scrambler, add some salsa and make breakfast burritos yum!

Post subject: I have to share my favorite tofu ancedote
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:00 am 
Gorilla

A man sees a woman placing a tub of tofu in her shopping cart. He approaches her. "Excuse me, but what do you do with the tofu?" he asks. She responds, "Every few days I drain it & fill it with fresh water. After about 2 weeks I throw the tofu away." He looks disappointed. "That's the same recipe my wife has. I was hoping you had a different one!"

===

I agree with Corey that vegweb.com has great recipes. The "Sloppy Steves" if made with the modifications mentioned in the notes below the recipe, are really good!

Tofu Scramble is also very good, especially served over toast spread with Tofutti Cream Cheese. Here's how I make mine:

...1 medium onion, chopped
...2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
...1 block tofu, drained well & mashed or crumbled
...3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
...1 teaspoon tumeric
...1 teaspoon salt, optional
...assorted chopped veggies. I like fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach, olives, mushrooms. Sometimes I'll add cooked Smart Bacon crumbled in pieces.

In a small amount of oil, saute the onion & garlic till tender. In a bowl, add the mashed tofu, ny flakes, tumeric, salt & veggies & mix well. Add tofu & veggies to the pan & cook on medium to medium high heat till moisture is cooked off.

Post subject: tofu
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 am 
Rabbit

You can buy baked tofu all ready flavored, BBQ, Italien, Thai, Oriental...I cube it and put in salads, my kids bring it just cubed in a bowl for lunch or in a wrap with other sandwich fillings. You can also add it to stir fry.
I like White Wave brand.
Good Luck,
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 pm 
Rabbit

Ah yes I saw the baked tofu, I was not sure if thats the 'firm' yall are talking about? It's like 3 bucks. But the soft one w/ water is like 1 dollar. I want the cheaper one of course but can I just put the soft ones and fry it up? or do i have to drain the water out then do fry it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:15 pm 
Stegosaurus

hey auro,

I think you are talking about the silken tofu?

That is really good scrambled in a frying pan.

Take a lil olive oil, and sautee some gren onions and whatever other veg you like. Drain the silken tofu, then hold the tofu over the frying pan and kind of crumble it into the frying pan (feels nasty in your hands but will taste good). Add JUST A DASH of tumeric which will give it a yellow colour when you mix it up. JUST A DASH THOUGH CUZ TUMERIC IS VERY BITTER. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix, stir, frying it the whole time (as you would scrambled eggs). I usually do so until it is overcooked -- i.e. slightly burnt and dry. End result is scrambled tofu with whatever veggies you threw in it and delicious!

Its good, and high in protein and veggie health!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:27 pm 
Rabbit

thanks girl! that clears it up. I never knew lawyers[future lawyers included] were so nice.

btw i envy you, u live in canada!! :twisted:

I want to move to canada so bad. Hopefully in the future. I visited Victoria, BC and Vancouver. I looveeed it ohsomuch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

aurovon wrote:
thanks girl! that clears it up. I never knew lawyers[future lawyers included] were so nice.

Awww thanks. Ya, their usually not -- I am the exception though. But dont make me mad or I will show my teeth then bite , OR paw at you with my claws out :lol: (just kiddin' ). :wink:

ya, Canada has its good points. Like free basic health care, no natural disasters (at least none major and if so, very rare). Mother Nature seems to spare Canada.

However, very cold winters and very hot and humid summers.

and of course the very shameful baby seal slaugter. :cry: among many other ridiculous crimes against animals.

I am looking forward to moving somewhere else when I am done my obligations holding me here.

never been to british columbia, but I heard it is beautiful, very vegan friendly and rob has family in b.c. so he could take over!

Happy cruelty-free cooking!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:38 pm 
Elephant

Lately I put some of Newman's vinegarette on the tofu and had peas to add in. It was really good. You can make your own vinegarette, just mix some olive oil and vinegar, at whatever ratio you like. I also added some veg-it seasoning which has so many flavorings I wont type any out. Really good stuff. Its the red label kind not the yellow incase you wanted to try to find it. Having my creation as leftovers was not as good as just after I mixed it all together the night before, then I had to really restrainmyself from eating it all so I could have a lunch. I think i'm goin to have this again.