What do you serve to non-vegan guests?

Jessica.veggiegirl

Salads, burgers, pastas, soups, tacos, chili and stir fries are all probably safe bets .. ie. nothing too far out of most people's comfort zone. Myself - I probably would never try 'selling' the fake meats, tofu or seitan to someone who has not tried and liked it already.

Outside of that list, a few recipes that I tried and would feel comfortable serving non-vegan friends include:

Quinoa and Black Beans

Tomato Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

Quinoa and Herb Stuffed Acorn Squash

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

Broccoli Risotto

Quinoa Salad with Pears, Baby Spinach and Chickpeas

I served a few of these to my parents (non-vegans) and they seemed to like them.

Yes, I really like squash! It is actually new to me since becoming vegan and I can't seem to get enough of it. lol.

Today I was at a birthday party and they had veggie samosas (for me!) ... if I knew how to make those I'd totally be okay serving them. Yum.

Mostly I recommend that anything you are going to serve to guests you've tried at least once yourself.

Happy cooking.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first went vegan I found a great YouTube cooking channel. This woman cooks Indian food and there are a lot of vegan dishes on here channel, many of them can be made vegan by substituting the dairy out:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/category/vegan/

I think the key to not grossing people out is to avoid processed meat substitutes. They just have a "fake" feel about them and many just don't taste good.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just try to make them something tasty that at the same time broadens their understanding of vegan food.

Fajitas, stroganoff, curry, samosa, tacos etc. I try to avoid foods that I found a little bitter at the start. Like soya or chickpeas. But if they stay for a few days, I might include some of that as well.

I feel many vegans are trying to convert people with their dinner, but my goal is only to show that the vegan menu is larger than they first believed.

Simple. I serve them whatever I eat, and my taste bud is not that awful.

But anyway, I love pasta with pesto, pitta pizzas, mashed potatoes with vegan sausages, and Thai curry.

Edited by grayson