Looking for a non-tofu vegan egg recipe

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Looking for a non-tofu vegan egg recipe

#1 Postby C.O. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Anyone have one? I like eggs. I mean really like them. I like them sunny-side up and runny. I know many of you are already super grossed out. But I rarely eat them now. I do the tofu scrambles but I don't really like them too much. Anyone have any other recipes or options for breakfast like or egg like dishes other than tofu based scrambles?

chefmegan
Finch

Re: Looking for a non-tofu vegan egg recipe

#2 Postby chefmegan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi,

Here are a few ideas...

In Ani Phyo's RAW food basics, she has scrambles that rely on almonds that have been soaked overnight. You pulse them in a food processor until you get the texture you want. This isn't going to simulate your runny yolk egg, but it could be good for burritos.

I've also seen a quite a few vegan food blogs lately featuring Socca. It's a French crepe made from chickpea flour. It can be stuffed like an omelet. this is a nice high protein option.

I'm going to think some more about this at work today... I'm a chef... and I'll try to come up with some more ideas.

Best,
Megan

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#3 Postby C.O. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks Megan, Im definitely going to check into socca.

Compassion
Manatee

#4 Postby Compassion » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

You obviously haven't had good scrambled tofu. If you are ever in my neck of the woods Ill show ya how it's done.
-Evan

stcalico
Manatee

#5 Postby stcalico » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

There are lots of recipes out there for vegan eggs benedict. It includes tofu... but not necessarily scrambled. It might give the 'runny' texture you are missing. I haven't tried any of them yet so don't know if they are good.

And just googling it... apparently Vegan Essentials carries something called the 'Vegg'. (an egg yolk replacer). I don't know if it is just for baking tho.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

Return to “Vegan Recipes”