"Chicken" Salad

brendan

This recipe is from Moby's new Teany book. Cheap, easy and delicious!

Ingredients:

16 ounces of un-chicken broth or vegetable broth

3 cups texturized vegetable protein (TVP)

1 stalk celery, diced very small

1/4 medium onion, diced very small

1 dill pickle spear, diced small

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons Veganaise

salt to taste

pepper to taste

2 teaspoons dried kelp flakes (not imperative, but it does make this fake chicken salad more convincing)

In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the broth to a boil, then add the TVP. Bring the temperature to medium and allow to cook until nearly all of the liquid is absorbed. Put the TVP in a container and refrigerate until cold (if you're in a rush, spread the mixture in a shallow pan and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes, stirring once after 10 minutes).

Add all other ingredients to the TVP and mix well. Chicken salad is complete!

This salad is best when served on toasted whole grain bread that has been slightly spread with vegan margarine. Greens and tomatoes work great with it, too! Serve open-faced if you wanna be fancy.

Makes 8 servings.

Haha. Moby was the one who wrote it would make the salad more convincing, so I refer you to him for an answer on that one.

Dried kelp is more or less like the seaweed wrap you find in sushi. I've found both the strips and dried flakes (a la a salt or pepper shaker) at Whole Foods. If you get the strips, you just have to cut them up yourself, which can be rather taxing.

What are you doing! Make the recipe already! It could be the best eating experience of your life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Guys,

You TOTALLY have to try this out. Unfortunately, though, i couldnt get my hands on any textureized protein or kelp, so I just used the Yves chicken pieces (the new and improved ones - they are actually better than their predecessors). Anyway, I added the other ingredients Brenden suggested and DAMN that is comparable to any chicken salad I have ever had in my life. YUM!!!

Can't wait to try it with the TVP and kelp flakes next time around though!!!

Thanks again for posting that recipe B, it rocks!!!

Rawk! I'm glad you guys like this recipe. My meatin' buddies also really enjoy it. Ronnie, you should opt for the ground beef style TVP (available in the bulk section of major health chains, such as Whole Foods), but it doesn't matter too much, I don't think. The kelp flakes are optional, as well, but a nice touch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you can't find TVP (or prefer a whole food rather than a processed food), try substituting tempeh (most has to be steamed for 20 minutes before using, but some don't). I've made variations of "chicken or the egg" (tastes like a bit of each to me, but I haven't had chicken for almost 30 years, or egg salad for about 15 years, so what do I know?) with tempeh and have served it to non-veg*ns with great success.