Experimental recipes

muchidna

Hey guys, i thought i'd start a thread to share my experiments, my main goals are to make simple, for example, put all ingredients in bowl, then mix, and cook (or leave to sit), and they should be quick and taste good.

one of my focuses will be batch meals with good protein hits that i can prepare in bulk, and meals i can cut up and take to university to me

My first one is a chocolate slice bar type recipe, it's not quite what i was aiming for, but it does taste great, and will satisfy any cake/chocolate cravings i might have , i was aiming for a balanced protein/carb hit i could take to the university, and eat after gym, but i'm not sure of their nutritional value, but being the goof i am, i didnt realise how fatty coconut was, so i expect this ended up being just junk food (i'll look up the macros later on)

recipe is as follows:

http://i.imgur.com/O86xLhu.jpg

Ingredients:

a little over 3/4cup of egg replacer (i used orgran no egg), non vegans can use egg whites and get more protein in the meal

1/4 cup walnuts, sliced very finely, or pulsed in a blender a couple times (so some is like breadcrumbs, but still chunks in it)

1 cup dessicated coconut

5 tsb coconut flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

3 tsb agave nectar (you could substitute for honey, date syrup or any other similar sweetners you're okay with)

250ml coconut milk

1 cup chocolate protein powder of your choice (i used a pea/rice blend, unflavored/vanilla should work almost as well)

Method:

Preheat oven to 150c

Mix up all your wet ingredients including your egg replacer

Mix all dry ingredients in another bowl

Mix wet and dry ingredients together

you may want to use some sort of oil, or waxpaper to prevent sticking for this step, i had a flexible (silicon?) baking tray that sticks to nothing

Spread out on a brownie tray or similar baking tray evenly, optionally sprinkle coconut flour over the mixture, this will add a little character, and allow you to stack them after they are cooked without sticking

then cook for about 30 minutes

take out, leave to cool and slice as you like, i then wrapped mine in foil and put them in fridge for later

i think next time i'll try to make a no cooking chocolate oat protein bar, or i'll post the recipe of my next batch of black bean burgers (they're pretty good, but each lot is unique)

Hi again, i'm trying a more nutritional recipe tonight, cutting most of the coconut and higher protein content, i'll post recipe if it doesn't suck

and on the weekend i'll post the recipe to a chickpea curry i usually make that lasts 3 or 4 meals

this is somewhat belated due to just being really busy over the weekend, but here's the recipe for a chickpea curry i've made a few times

The goal for this recipe was to make something that was based on chickpeas, or beans, or something with a good amount of protein in it, and that could be stored easily and eaten later, aswell as being simple to make, and taste good- i think this could be made gluten free if you skip the flour also, but i'm not an expert, i don't know if the other ingredients have gluten

Indian style chickpea curry

http://i.imgur.com/ARn0UxS.jpg

Ingredients:

small amount of oil

3 heaped tsp garam masala

2 heaped tsp cumin

small amount of red hot chilli powder -i used probably about 1/3rd of a flat teaspoon

*1 tsp turmeric

1 large onion

2 large cloves garlic

3 400g tins of chickpeas (then drained)

*300g(before pressing) silken tofu, pressed

700g of some sort of tomato cooking sauce or tomato puree, whataver's avaliable in your area

1 cup frozen peas

*small amount of flour

1 cup water (possibly more depending on how thick your sauce is)

* = optional

Method:

*Dice onion very finely, and crush garlic, use a small amount of oil in a deep pan or pot (assuming it's relatively non stick) on a medium heat and cook onion and garlic for a few minutes

*Add spices and mix well, so they cling to the onions

*add in your tomato sauce and water, the mixture should be a little runny, then add peas and chickpeas and tofu (chop up the tofu with spoon or spatula so it disintegrates through the sauce), adjust heat to bring to a bubble- at this point you can add extra spices to taste, then allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

*at this point you can add a teaspoon of flour to really thicken up the sauce, then stir it through for a minute or two, and take off heat

wait a few minutes, then serve, i eat it with wholemeal lebanese or pita bread, add lemon juice to taste if needed

For me, this meal takes about 20 minutes to prepare, and gives me 4 meals with pig sized portions, it's also relatively cheap, probably about 10 dollars or less for 4 or more meals, even cheaper if you soak and cook your own chickpeas and depending on where you live, the tofu doesn't add much in way of taste or texture, i mainly added it for a little more protein and because i had 4 packs that were going to go off , you can skip it if you like, i think most people will have alot of the ingredients without having to buy much also.

next recipe maybe within a week will be my black bean+chickpea burgers