To soup or not to soup

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
mythil
Manatee
Posts: 325
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Location: Hampshire Swordsman

To soup or not to soup

#1 Postby mythil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 am

If you're like me (maybe you're not) you'll find some things you just can't stomach. For example, I can't eat butternut squash straight out, not sure why, I just don't like it.. And why should you force yourself to eat something you don't like even if it's good for you? Well there is a way.

If I have vegetables that are going to go off soon or are something I tried and don't like, I soup them. I boil them, blend them up and put them in the fridge, with a little pepper and herbs they taste pretty good, not my favorite thing but decent.

Anyone else do this? If not, you should.
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

muchidna
Manatee
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 am

Re: To soup or not to soup

#2 Postby muchidna » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:05 pm

hi mythil, i curry, not soup, just buy some curry flavoring paste or something from the shops (tikka is good) or just make your own up, cook it up in a saucepan (i can give you details if you like, but it really doesn't matter how you cook it)
when i make it, i either have a specific ingredient i want to use (like beans, split peas or something for protein content) or i just want to use up some vegetables

User avatar
mythil
Manatee
Posts: 325
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Location: Hampshire Swordsman

Re: To soup or not to soup

#3 Postby mythil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:46 pm

muchidna wrote:hi mythil, i curry, not soup, just buy some curry flavoring paste or something from the shops (tikka is good) or just make your own up, cook it up in a saucepan (i can give you details if you like, but it really doesn't matter how you cook it)
when i make it, i either have a specific ingredient i want to use (like beans, split peas or something for protein content) or i just want to use up some vegetables


You can do. Personally I don't buy anything pre-made anymore.
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

muchidna
Manatee
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 am

Re: To soup or not to soup

#4 Postby muchidna » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:52 pm

well, it's just a blend of spices lol, it's not like a sauce or anything, i make my own also, just use cumin, garam masala, turmeric and chilli

User avatar
mythil
Manatee
Posts: 325
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Location: Hampshire Swordsman

Re: To soup or not to soup

#5 Postby mythil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:54 pm

muchidna wrote:well, it's just a blend of spices lol, it's not like a sauce or anything, i make my own also, just use cumin, garam masala, turmeric and chilli


Eh just a lot of stuff here either has milk or something processed in it.
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

HattieByers
Finch
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

Re: To soup or not to soup

#6 Postby HattieByers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:03 am

I hate soups, just don't understand why I should eat saggy vegetables boiled in greasy water. Yuckyyyy

User avatar
mythil
Manatee
Posts: 325
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm
Location: Hampshire Swordsman

Re: To soup or not to soup

#7 Postby mythil » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 pm

HattieByers wrote:I hate soups, just don't understand why I should eat saggy vegetables boiled in greasy water. Yuckyyyy


Then you don't make very good soup :P
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Brusilov
Finch
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:33 am

Re: To soup or not to soup

#8 Postby Brusilov » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:26 pm

mythil wrote:
muchidna wrote:well, it's just a blend of spices lol, it's not like a sauce or anything, i make my own also, just use cumin, garam masala, turmeric and chilli


Eh just a lot of stuff here either has milk or something processed in it.



I think he is talking about curry powders, rather than curry paste you buy in a jar.

curry paste is basically just this anyway:

    Heat a little oil in a pan/pot,
    A clove or two of garlic and half onion chopped up fine,
    Mix a few teaspoons of curry spices in a bowl such as muchidna mentioned, cumin, tumeric, even with generic curry powder which is almost always vegan.
    Throw the onions and garlic into the hot oil give it a quick stir
    Chuck in the spices, another quick stir,
    Pour in a little boiling water from the kettle

Then dump in your lentils, split peas, filthy week old rotten squash, whatever you like :D

Fill it up with some more hot water and let it curry on doown.


Return to “Vegan Recipes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest