To soup or not to soup

mythil

If you're like me (maybe you're not) you'll find some things you just can't stomach. For example, I can't eat butternut squash straight out, not sure why, I just don't like it.. And why should you force yourself to eat something you don't like even if it's good for you? Well there is a way.

If I have vegetables that are going to go off soon or are something I tried and don't like, I soup them. I boil them, blend them up and put them in the fridge, with a little pepper and herbs they taste pretty good, not my favorite thing but decent.

Anyone else do this? If not, you should.

hi mythil, i curry, not soup, just buy some curry flavoring paste or something from the shops (tikka is good) or just make your own up, cook it up in a saucepan (i can give you details if you like, but it really doesn't matter how you cook it)

when i make it, i either have a specific ingredient i want to use (like beans, split peas or something for protein content) or i just want to use up some vegetables

hi mythil, i curry, not soup, just buy some curry flavoring paste or something from the shops (tikka is good) or just make your own up, cook it up in a saucepan (i can give you details if you like, but it really doesn't matter how you cook it)

when i make it, i either have a specific ingredient i want to use (like beans, split peas or something for protein content) or i just want to use up some vegetables

You can do. Personally I don't buy anything pre-made anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
well, it's just a blend of spices lol, it's not like a sauce or anything, i make my own also, just use cumin, garam masala, turmeric and chilli

Eh just a lot of stuff here either has milk or something processed in it.

I think he is talking about curry powders, rather than curry paste you buy in a jar.

curry paste is basically just this anyway:

• Heat a little oil in a pan/pot,
    A clove or two of garlic and half onion chopped up fine,
    Mix a few teaspoons of curry spices in a bowl such as muchidna mentioned, cumin, tumeric, even with generic curry powder which is almost always vegan.
    Throw the onions and garlic into the hot oil give it a quick stir
    Chuck in the spices, another quick stir,
    Pour in a little boiling water from the kettle

Then dump in your lentils, split peas, filthy week old rotten squash, whatever you like

Fill it up with some more hot water and let it curry on doown.