Alternative to hummus

mythil

I use hummus a lot, mostly with wraps and so on to A) Hold it all in place and B) it just tastes nice. However hummus (well around here) is just all fat and oil really, even the "better options" in the supermarket.

I don't suppose anyone has any alternatives to hummus I could use to cut down or out on the oils/fat?

I make my own hummus. I don't add any olive oil. Just use a little extra water instead. It does have tahini in it, but not so much that I think it is bad.

If you dont' mind making it, cashew cream cheese is a nice alternative spread. Still fatty cuz it is nuts, but you would only use about a tblsp or 2 on a wrap.

I like to cook lentils really well, so it turns into a kind of lentil paste (less water) or lentil mash (more water). It doesn't stay on sandwiches like hummus, but similar in protein composition, and lower in fat.

Also, baba ghanoush is an eggplant spread that's similar. Not sure if that's lower in fat, take a look! G'luck...

Personally I'm so into hummus that I don't really care about the fat, but you're right, in the supermarkets it's usually very oily. Do you look for something to buy or are you able to prepare it by yourself? Because there are some low fat recipes, for example this one: http://engine2diet.com/recipe/engine-2-hummus/

Thanks for that recipe link . . . will def. be giving that a try. I too like hummus, but am tired of paying top dollar for it at the local stores. This looks relatively easy and I have the ingredients on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Make it yourself!

1 can of chickpea (well rinced to avoid excess of sodium), or better that's you've cooked yourself

add some lemon juice, garlic powder, parsley

and sesame seeds /flaxseeds (at your convenience for fat control!).

instead of seeds, I sometimes add 1/2 small avocado, it's my guacummus, healthy heaven!

Cheers

Edited by HF75

• 2 weeks later...

Since I use no oil, I have to make my own. I've only found two that don't use oil, one at Whole Foods and another local brand in my sister's town. But to me, hummus means any kind of bean mashed and seasoned:

black beans with salsa

white beans with fresh herbs

kidney beans with mustard ("devilled")

azuki beans with ginger, tamari, and sesame

loaded with oil? hmm

i usually make my own, or buy diet versions from the store ( i find the flavored hummus from stores are better for dipping crackers and stuff)

but yeah, depending on your use, it's dead simple to make

sometimes i just blend a can of chickpeas, with some water, or juice from the tin, then just use that without adding anything, dip wholemeal lebanese bread in and eat it

some good things to add can be

garlic

lemon juice

tahini (though i've never noticed a huge difference for this)

harissa