Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: making protein edible
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 am 
Manatee

just wondering what you guys do to make protein edible?

i have a flavored vanilla rice/pea protein that's hard to get down, but banana smoothies cover it up extremely well (i've tried other fruits like mango, strawberry etc, bananas are magic)

i also have some unflavored ones that are easier to get down

i've made pancakes which help them go down quite a bit, but have a bit off texture, and more carbs for the trouble
i've made bars too, but again, more carbs for the trouble

just wondering if you guys have any exceptional ingredients for masking the textures/tastes of protein powders and making them more palatable, i'd recommend using frozen bananas to anyone who hasn't yet

Post subject: Re: making protein edible
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 am 
Finch

I think what is key is to get a protein that is delicious. I wasted so much money trying proteins from local stores and sites, hated them all. I use only the rice protein isolate from True Nutrition. It's bulk and you can add whatever flavors you like.

It's also in bulk so it's WAY CHEAPER!

I think I found that site years ago when it used to be called True Protein and I did some Googling. Now I recommend it to everyone I meet. I've also had the pea protein from there, but it's a thicker consistency so I prefer the pea protein.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm 
Manatee

i've never come across a particularly palatable brands in my country, and i've tried a few

i even tried the super expensive sunwarrior protein (which i heard so many good things about) - turned out that it tasted like ^&%$ for me

the best ones i've come across are the unflavored bulk pea/rice , but then it's hard to put that in a portable form, or drink it on its own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 am 
Rabbit

I get all my protein and other macros from food. I do bump it up with a post workout smoothie when my workout warrants it, usually spinach/kale, whatever fruit is on hand -and yeah bananas are magic-, ,maybe some chia/hemp if on hand, and some NOW pea protein powder). Some ice/water....recently started adding in some spirulina but it dominates the taste so far. Not bad, just more 'green' and plant tasting....

Fueling up based on either what I just did, or what I'm about to do.

The rest works itself out in variety and combinations of plant-based goodness!

Yeah, takes some time to learn. Some experimentation with what to eat. Veg/Vegan newbies tend to go to the powdered this and that or the mass marketed pre-/-post workout concoction...to each their own I guess.

I'm with you..life's short, what you nourish yourself on should be tasty!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 am 
Elephant

peanut butter always goes well with bananas in protein smoothies, doesnt work with any other fruit imo though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 am 
Rabbit

one time (only 1!) I added in some lemon to my smoothie -- it did NOT compliment the kale....ewww!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:15 pm 
Manatee

VeganBadass_CO wrote:
I'm with you..life's short, what you nourish yourself on should be tasty!!!

haha i have an opposing view, i like to think of food as fuel, the cheapest, most economical way to get nutritious calories into my mouth is the best- though i have to be able to get it down and keep it down, hence this thread
also i make it taste good, even though it's cheap :P

the spirulina is an interesting idea, i wonder if i can just overload it with wheatgrass or something, i'd much rather the taste of grass, than protein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 am 
Finch

My favorite protein powder (in fact the ONLY one I've liked) has been Now Sports Pea Protein.

I tried some hemp ones, i think a brown rice one, and some others, but couldn't really stand the flavor or texture.

The ns pea protein has a smoother texture, adds a thickness to the drink, and what little flavor it has is fairly pleasant.

That said, I'm not using any protein powder nowadays. From what I've read you really don't need as much protein to gain muscle mass as some people in the weight lifting arena say you do. That and I'm concerned about the long term consequences of excess protein intake, particularly the strain it puts on your liver and kidneys (here's an interesting video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R07FL1 ... ooIfrXoLvQ)