making protein edible

muchidna

just wondering what you guys do to make protein edible?

i have a flavored vanilla rice/pea protein that's hard to get down, but banana smoothies cover it up extremely well (i've tried other fruits like mango, strawberry etc, bananas are magic)

i also have some unflavored ones that are easier to get down

i've made pancakes which help them go down quite a bit, but have a bit off texture, and more carbs for the trouble

i've made bars too, but again, more carbs for the trouble

just wondering if you guys have any exceptional ingredients for masking the textures/tastes of protein powders and making them more palatable, i'd recommend using frozen bananas to anyone who hasn't yet

I think what is key is to get a protein that is delicious. I wasted so much money trying proteins from local stores and sites, hated them all. I use only the rice protein isolate from True Nutrition. It's bulk and you can add whatever flavors you like.

It's also in bulk so it's WAY CHEAPER!

I think I found that site years ago when it used to be called True Protein and I did some Googling. Now I recommend it to everyone I meet. I've also had the pea protein from there, but it's a thicker consistency so I prefer the pea protein.

i've never come across a particularly palatable brands in my country, and i've tried a few

i even tried the super expensive sunwarrior protein (which i heard so many good things about) - turned out that it tasted like ^&%$ for me

the best ones i've come across are the unflavored bulk pea/rice , but then it's hard to put that in a portable form, or drink it on its own.

I get all my protein and other macros from food. I do bump it up with a post workout smoothie when my workout warrants it, usually spinach/kale, whatever fruit is on hand -and yeah bananas are magic-, ,maybe some chia/hemp if on hand, and some NOW pea protein powder). Some ice/water....recently started adding in some spirulina but it dominates the taste so far. Not bad, just more 'green' and plant tasting....

Fueling up based on either what I just did, or what I'm about to do.

The rest works itself out in variety and combinations of plant-based goodness!

Yeah, takes some time to learn. Some experimentation with what to eat. Veg/Vegan newbies tend to go to the powdered this and that or the mass marketed pre-/-post workout concoction...to each their own I guess.

I'm with you..life's short, what you nourish yourself on should be tasty!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm with you..life's short, what you nourish yourself on should be tasty!!!

haha i have an opposing view, i like to think of food as fuel, the cheapest, most economical way to get nutritious calories into my mouth is the best- though i have to be able to get it down and keep it down, hence this thread

also i make it taste good, even though it's cheap

the spirulina is an interesting idea, i wonder if i can just overload it with wheatgrass or something, i'd much rather the taste of grass, than protein

• 1 month later...

My favorite protein powder (in fact the ONLY one I've liked) has been Now Sports Pea Protein.

I tried some hemp ones, i think a brown rice one, and some others, but couldn't really stand the flavor or texture.

The ns pea protein has a smoother texture, adds a thickness to the drink, and what little flavor it has is fairly pleasant.

That said, I'm not using any protein powder nowadays. From what I've read you really don't need as much protein to gain muscle mass as some people in the weight lifting arena say you do. That and I'm concerned about the long term consequences of excess protein intake, particularly the strain it puts on your liver and kidneys (here's an interesting video on the subject:

)

• 5 months later...

Sup guys, so this is a somewhat old thread, just a couple updates

i now use almost exclusively chocolate pea & rice protein by www.bioflex.com.au , it tastes decent on its own, with a little extra cocoa powder, it actually becomes a bit of a tread..

and a couple days ago... i discovered something incredible, add a small amount of quality coconut cream to a shake (like maybe 1-2 teaspoons) and it will change the taste of the shake so much, it becomes a desert if i do that, ruins the macros a little bit but damn, it's worth it lol

the vanilla stuff from the same company... i dont like, never really liked vanilla protein powders, atleast vegan ones.

i've also found that the powder tastes much nicer if mixed with part unsweetened soy milk, and water (unsweetened is hard to find, and it tastes like some kinda gross tofu juice on its own lol) it's quite nice in a shake though.

but yeah, seriously, try adding coco cream to a shake, please tell me what you think, it makes such a massive difference to my tastebuds, it's not the coconut flavour or anything, but i expect the fats... somehow enhance the ability to taste the... whatever, idk, science man

i no longer use unflavored stuff.. sometimes put it in recipes, but thats about it