Homemade Seitan

Crash

I really like seitan, but can never find it at my supermarket. Here's a homemade recipe I found online and thought I'd share.

Homemade Seitan

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours

Quantity: 4 cups

Traditionally wheat flour is washed and kneeded 3 times and over 2 days in order to make the wheat gluten, but this seitan is made quicker by using Vital Wheat Gluten flour. The flavoring for this goes well with pretty much anything, but depending what you are using it for you can change the flavors up a bit by adding finely chopped herbs to the mixture, or if you're making something Asian or Indian, some grated ginger wouldn't hurt.

You will need:

A large ceramic or glass bowl.

A smaller bowl for liquid ingredients.

A Skillet (Cast Iron is best).

A large soup pot with lid

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour

1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes

1 cup very cold water or vegetable broth

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated on a microplane grater

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

Simmering Broth:

10 cups water or vegetable broth

1/2 cup soy sauce

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix together Vital Wheat Gluten Flour and nutritional yeast flakes.

In a seperate bowl, mix together reamining ingredients: water or veg broth, soy sauce. tomato paste, garlic, lemon zest.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine with a firm spatula, knead dough for about 3 minutes until a spongy, elastic dough is formed. Let dough rest for a couple of minutes and prepare your broth, but don't start boiling it.

Now roll your dough into a log shape about 8 inches long and cut into 3 equal sized pieces. Place the pieces in the broth. It is important that the water/broth be very cold when you add the dough, it helps with the texture and ensures that it doesn't fall apart. Partially cover the pot (leave a little space for steam to escape) and bring to a boil.

When the water has come to a boil set the heat to low and gently simmer for an hour, turning the peices every now and again.

Now you've got gluten. Let it cool in the simmering broth for at least a half an hour. It is best if it cools completely.

What you do next depends on the recipe you are using. If it calls for gluten use it as is. If you want to store some of it for later use put it in a sealable container covered in the simmering broth.

If your recipe calls for seitan cut your peices up as desired. I prefer to use a cast iron skillet for the frying because it produces the best flavor and texture. Use as little oil as possible to coat the bottom of the skillet, 1 teaspoon may suffice. Heat the skillet over medium high and add your gluten. Cook for about 20 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally. And there you have it.

Yummy seitan.

I use this recipe

Except I added more gulten when Im kneading and I knead like crazy adding italian seasoning and Mine taste just like tofurkey!

I made a broth and added 6 cloves of garlic, and 1/4 cup italian seasoning and teaspoon of sea salt to the ten cups of water and braggs.

Wish someone could tell me the protein per serving!!!!!