making dried apples

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

joelbct
Manatee

making dried apples

#1 Postby joelbct » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Saw a post asking what to do with apples. I made dried apple rings/slices for the first time last weekend and they turned out great.

Used a Nesco Dehydrator. Dehydrators are best apparentlly, but you can search for other methods on the internet.

Cored, peeled, and sliced the apples 3/8-inch thick directly into a Vitamin C solution to stop browning (2 teaspoons vit. c powder per cup of water), then dehydrated at 135 degrees for 14 hours.

-Joel[/url]

_raVen_
Gorilla

#2 Postby _raVen_ » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 am

That's a good idea when flooded with a certain food! Even though I don't eat dehydrated, I will do this too. I have some dried strawberries from a few months ago; I wasn't able to scarf 'em down in time, and I had a ton in the freezer already.
Do you know how awesome your house smells when you dry strawberries? :)

I think I still have some dried figs from last summer too :?

One fruit I do really love dried (though fresh is still best) is Persimmon! THey are sooo good. They should be coming in by the barrel soon too! I love Autumn!

Fresh Persimmons:Image

Here is a pic of some I dried:

madcat
Manatee

#3 Postby madcat » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:35 am

that is a great idea. i dont really like dried fruit, but i could use them for baking all winter. has anyone tried this in an oven? I dont have a dehydrator. :(

veganpotter

#4 Postby veganpotter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:25 pm

Apples have never turned out for me...they're fine when I chop them up and throw them in something but by themselves they taste nothing like the yummy stuff you buy in a store

Return to “Vegan Recipes”