Best Tofu Burgers... Ever!

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

SiNa94
Manatee

Best Tofu Burgers... Ever!

#1 Postby SiNa94 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:01 am

A couple of years ago I was looking for a tofu burger recipe. I found one, but didn't have the exact ingredients it called for. After a few adjustments, this is the recipe I came up with:

1 tub extra firm tofu, mashed
1 cup oats
1/2 cup cashews, ground
4 tbsp soy sauch
Pinch garlic powder
Pinch salt
2 tbsp chopped onion

Mix all ingredients, form into patties, and pan fry.

I usually freeze them for a couple of hours at least before I start cooking to help them hold together a little better. The cashews give them a really nice flavor.

SpeakLow
Rabbit

#2 Postby SpeakLow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Any burger that has this much oat in it has got to be good! I love oats in my burgers, I am all about texture. Will for sure try this one and report back, thanks! Oh, raw cashews, roasted, salted? I guess it's ones preference...

michaelhobson
Elephant

#3 Postby michaelhobson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 pm

Yum, sounds good. Tofu + oats + fried = can't go wrong!

SiNa94
Manatee

#4 Postby SiNa94 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:37 pm

SpeakLow wrote: Oh, raw cashews, roasted, salted? I guess it's ones preference...

I use roasted/salted cashews... but I see no reason why any of the others couldn't be used as perfectly good alternatives.

I actually made these at a barbecue over the summer and just last week one of my friends made a comment to another about me making the best tofu burgers they'd ever had. I asked him if he was serious and he said he was. Who knew...

paulcats02
Rabbit

#5 Postby paulcats02 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 am

great recipe!

i just made a batch using almonds instead of cashews cos that's all we had... i guess you could call it a TAO burger (tofu almond oat)?

i didn't freeze them in advance but next time will definitely try that (i just used extra oats), i also baked them instead of frying.

kailla
Rabbit

#6 Postby kailla » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:29 pm

I made these and grilled out....delicious! Thanks so much. These will be part of my permanent recipe collection.

SiNa94
Manatee

#7 Postby SiNa94 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:35 pm

Glad you all liked 'em.

VegHead_CO
Finch

#8 Postby VegHead_CO » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:36 pm

I made these but they became extremely crumbly and then like a tofu scramble in the pan as opposed to tofu burgers. What is the hint to getting them to stick together more? I did put them in the freezer for 2 hours prior to cooking. Do you recommend using a Cuisinart to blend everything?
"Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself." - James A. Froude

SiNa94
Manatee

#9 Postby SiNa94 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:32 pm

VegHead_CO wrote:I made these but they became extremely crumbly and then like a tofu scramble in the pan as opposed to tofu burgers. What is the hint to getting them to stick together more? I did put them in the freezer for 2 hours prior to cooking. Do you recommend using a Cuisinart to blend everything?

Make sure your cashews are crushed really well so you don't have any huge chunks. When frying them up, fry the first side for a good 5-8 minutes or so without moving it around too much. It should be nicely browned. Then flip it over and do the same on the other side. That'll cook it together so it doesn't fall apart so much. Once it's cooked it sticks together alright, but if you move it around too much while it's cooking it WILL fall apart.

Some other things you could try, that I've never tried, but might work to help them stick together:

Add some vital wheat gluten to the mix to make it a gummier texture and help hold it together. I always make TVP/vital wheat gluten "chicken" and it holds together pretty well.

Or, you could try shredding the tofu instead of crumbling it. The longish strands of tofu should interlink and help hold it together better (at least, that's the plan).

Let me know if you try either of these... I'm interested to see if they work. Usually I'm just really careful when I'm making these burgers, but it would be nice if I could just "man-handle" them.

Steve1968
Rabbit

#10 Postby Steve1968 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks for the recipe. These are really good. My son really liked it too.
Be the change we wish to see in the world-Ghandi-

http://www.myspace.com/schimelpfenig

trueboo
Rabbit

#11 Postby trueboo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:38 am

Ooooo, these sound good. I wonder if I can throw some of these together for dinner tonight!

Patrick
Rabbit

#12 Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am

paulcats02 wrote:great recipe!

i just made a batch using almonds instead of cashews cos that's all we had... i guess you could call it a TAO burger (tofu almond oat)?

i didn't freeze them in advance but next time will definitely try that (i just used extra oats), i also baked them instead of frying.

Hi Paulcats,

how long did you bake them, & @ what temperature?

Definitely gonna try this recipe.

Thank you for sharing!!!!

paulcats02
Rabbit

Re: Best Tofu Burgers... Ever!

#13 Postby paulcats02 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:07 pm

first of all i apologize for the 9 month delay

second, to answer your question, i baked them at 350 degrees for about a half hour then if they are cooked through take 'em out otherwise i'll put 'em back for another 20-30min. this will be dependent on how thick the patty is.

oh, also i usually either spray the pan with spray oil or lightly grease it w earth balance

Return to “Vegan Recipes”