Best Tofu Burgers... Ever!

SiNa94

A couple of years ago I was looking for a tofu burger recipe. I found one, but didn't have the exact ingredients it called for. After a few adjustments, this is the recipe I came up with:

1 tub extra firm tofu, mashed

1 cup oats

1/2 cup cashews, ground

4 tbsp soy sauch

Pinch garlic powder

Pinch salt

2 tbsp chopped onion

Mix all ingredients, form into patties, and pan fry.

I usually freeze them for a couple of hours at least before I start cooking to help them hold together a little better. The cashews give them a really nice flavor.

• 1 month later...
Oh, raw cashews, roasted, salted? I guess it's ones preference...

I use roasted/salted cashews... but I see no reason why any of the others couldn't be used as perfectly good alternatives.

I actually made these at a barbecue over the summer and just last week one of my friends made a comment to another about me making the best tofu burgers they'd ever had. I asked him if he was serious and he said he was. Who knew...

• 3 months later...

great recipe!

i just made a batch using almonds instead of cashews cos that's all we had... i guess you could call it a TAO burger (tofu almond oat)?

i didn't freeze them in advance but next time will definitely try that (i just used extra oats), i also baked them instead of frying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made these but they became extremely crumbly and then like a tofu scramble in the pan as opposed to tofu burgers. What is the hint to getting them to stick together more? I did put them in the freezer for 2 hours prior to cooking. Do you recommend using a Cuisinart to blend everything?

I made these but they became extremely crumbly and then like a tofu scramble in the pan as opposed to tofu burgers. What is the hint to getting them to stick together more? I did put them in the freezer for 2 hours prior to cooking. Do you recommend using a Cuisinart to blend everything?

Make sure your cashews are crushed really well so you don't have any huge chunks. When frying them up, fry the first side for a good 5-8 minutes or so without moving it around too much. It should be nicely browned. Then flip it over and do the same on the other side. That'll cook it together so it doesn't fall apart so much. Once it's cooked it sticks together alright, but if you move it around too much while it's cooking it WILL fall apart.

Some other things you could try, that I've never tried, but might work to help them stick together:

• Add some vital wheat gluten to the mix to make it a gummier texture and help hold it together. I always make TVP/vital wheat gluten "chicken" and it holds together pretty well.

Or, you could try shredding the tofu instead of crumbling it. The longish strands of tofu should interlink and help hold it together better (at least, that's the plan).

Let me know if you try either of these... I'm interested to see if they work. Usually I'm just really careful when I'm making these burgers, but it would be nice if I could just "man-handle" them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
great recipe!

i just made a batch using almonds instead of cashews cos that's all we had... i guess you could call it a TAO burger (tofu almond oat)?

i didn't freeze them in advance but next time will definitely try that (i just used extra oats), i also baked them instead of frying.

Hi Paulcats,

how long did you bake them, & @ what temperature?

Definitely gonna try this recipe.

Thank you for sharing!!!!

• 8 months later...

first of all i apologize for the 9 month delay

second, to answer your question, i baked them at 350 degrees for about a half hour then if they are cooked through take 'em out otherwise i'll put 'em back for another 20-30min. this will be dependent on how thick the patty is.

oh, also i usually either spray the pan with spray oil or lightly grease it w earth balance