Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kale and other Leafy Greens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:31 pm 
Rabbit

I bought kale yesterday at Whole Foods and the first thing I thought of was frying in a pan. I don't have a wok, but I have a large and deep frying pan that sometimes doubles as a pot because it's so deep and has sides. I put some vinaigrette dressing at the bottom instead of just olive oil and added cherry tomatoes as well as thickly cut baby carrots. The result was a very flavorful dish and I was very satisfied with myself.

Dark green leafy vegetables like kale, chard and collards are supposed to be good because they contain iron, calcium and other good stuff.

Does anyone have a suggestion about preparing these kinds of greens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:47 pm 
Wrap them around a banana...don't be scared its very good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 am 
Elephant

I don't have the link sitting around, but green smoothies are awesome. Many people here on the board swear by them, including myself (a new convert). My favorite is one big bunch of spinach with two bananas and some protein powder. You might want to go lighter on the greens or heavier, depending on your preference. Here is a list that I have saved to my computer.

Delicious Combinations
Mango-parsley
2 large mangos
1 bunch parsley
Water
Peach-spinach
6 peaches
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water
Mango-weeds
2 mangos
1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc
Water
Strawberry-banana-romaine
1-cup strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 bunch romaine
Water
Apple-kale-lemon
4 apples
1/2 lemon juice
4-5 leaves of kale
Water
Kiwi-banana-celery
4 very ripe kiwis
1 ripe banana
3 stalks of celery
Water
Pear-kale-mint
4 ripe pears
4-5 leaves of kale
1/2 bunch of mint
Water
Finger banana-spinach
10 finger-bananas
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water
Bosc pear-raspberry-kale
3 bosc pears
1 handful of raspberries
4-5 leaves of kale
Water

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 am 
Rabbit

hmmm.

I have always been shy of veggie-fruit mixes. I might have to give it a go.

Will these work in regular blenders, or do they require something sturdier like a food processor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:31 am 
Elephant

I second the kale wrapped around a banana thing. Sounds weird, but it's delicious.

I like steamed kale... topped with some olive oil and garlic... or a bit of marinara sauce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 am 
Elephant

I'm not a huge fan of kale. Something about the texture? I don't know. When I cook kale, I like it chopped small. It's great in upma - an indian dish consisting of veggies and semolina (cream of wheat). It's a breakfast favorite at our house!

Just chop a variety of veggies - carrots, red pepper, kale, zucchini, tomatoe and saute in a large frying pan or pot. Add some spices - tumeric, curry, cayenne, salt...add about 1/4 cup water and then some cream of wheat. Cook until all of the water is absorbed and the semolina is soft -adjusting the water and semolina as necessary. So yummy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:14 am 
Elephant

minimalistica wrote:
hmmm.

I have always been shy of veggie-fruit mixes. I might have to give it a go.

Will these work in regular blenders, or do they require something sturdier like a food processor?

I managed to blend them up with a regular blender, just add your ingredients slowly and give them some time to blend. I upgraded to a k-tec and it was well worth the investment with how often I use it.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm 
Elephant

I've used a raw 'wrap' recipe with collard greens. Marinate some sliced mushrooms and onions in Nama Shoyu (or any soy sauce, if you don't care if it's raw) for about 10 minutes, then drain. Trim collard leaves, removing the stem that sticks out, and thinning out the part of the stem that is at the bottom of the leaf (makes for easier rolling/folding). Pretty-side-down (the outside of the leaf), wrap the onions, mushrooms, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber and avocado slices in the collard leaf, rolling like a burrito.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:05 am 
Rabbit

Kale is awesome...here is a raw recipe and a cooked one. I'll start with the raw... It is similar to VeganPotter's idea. Take a leaf of kale and fill it with avacado and some pitted dates. It does taste pretty good and your friends will think you are strange for eating kale, especially kale done up that way.

The 2nd recipe goes like this. Chop up an onion and add it to a pot that is heated with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Heat that up for about 4 or 5 minutes and then add the chopped Kale. At this point I add a dash of salt and pepper, along with some chili powder. Let that go with the lid on for a couple of minutes and then add about 1/8 cup of vinegar "I prefer the apple cider kind" and a 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Put the lid back on and turn down the heat. Let this cook for a little while. In about 5 more minutes you'll have some really good tasting kale. Enjoy! I usually do the same with collards, but kale is just as good. Add some baked beans and some corn bread and you're set...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:28 am 
Stegosaurus

Even eating Kale raw is good, but I like to add it to fruit smoothies.

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:49 am 
Elephant

I just eat it raw. Get some avocado and balsamic vinegar and maybe some bell peppers. Great salad.

God i love avocado.

I usually just eat it in a big mixed salad with spinach and chard, maybe some broccoli and Bok Choy. And of course... avocado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 pm 
Rabbit

a recipe i found that i tried and liked a lot. i changed a couple things...

RED KALE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP
You can substitute any other leafy green for the kale.

1 bunch red kale (or use any other green available)
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
4 roma tomatoes, diced
1 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans (or equivalent amount of fresh cooked dry white beans, i used great northern)
4 cups water
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Optional serving suggestions:
Balsamic vinegar and soy or rice parmesan (or ground pine nuts)

Prepare the kale by removing the thick parts of the center rib and discarding them. Slice the leaves thinly. Measure out 4 cups of kale for the soup; save the rest for another use.

Mist a large stainless steel pan lightly with olive oil. Sauté the onion and celery until the onion begins to brown. Add the garlic, and sauté for another minute. Add all the remaining ingredients, and allow the soup to simmer, adding extra water as needed, until the kale is tender, about 15-25 minutes, depending on the kale. Taste the soup and add more basil, if necessary.

Serve the soup, stirring a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of vegan parmesan into each bowl, if desired. Makes about 6 servings.

. . . || . . . .
. . .{ }-<. .
. .^ || . . . .
. . .d b. . . .
. . . . . . . . .

Post subject: Re: Kale and other Leafy Greens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:39 pm 
Rabbit

minimalistica wrote:
I bought kale yesterday at Whole Foods and the first thing I thought of was frying in a pan. I don't have a wok, but I have a large and deep frying pan that sometimes doubles as a pot because it's so deep and has sides. I put some vinaigrette dressing at the bottom instead of just olive oil and added cherry tomatoes as well as thickly cut baby carrots. The result was a very flavorful dish and I was very satisfied with myself.

Dark green leafy vegetables like kale, chard and collards are supposed to be good because they contain iron, calcium and other good stuff.

Here is one I eat all the time! You don't need the vegizest, when I run out I just leave it and it tastes great! I also add kael to my blended salads and normal salads.

Kale with Cashew Cream Sauce
www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 large bunches of kale
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest
1 tablespoon onion flakes

Instructions:
Steam kale and when done press into a towel to remove excess water. While kale is steaming make sauce by blending cashews, soy milk, VegiZest and onion flakes until smooth and creamy. Chop kale and mix in sauce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:40 pm 
Rabbit

veganpotter wrote:
Wrap them around a banana...don't be scared its very good

I am going to go try that right now!! Sounds delicious!

Post subject: Re: Kale and other Leafy Greens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:45 pm 
Rabbit

minimalistica wrote:

Also Kale juice is great with some carrot and celery juice or Kale with carrot and apple juice.

Kale is a cruciferous veggie and has very powerful anti-cancer effects. It has been proven in scientific studies to actually reverse dna damage.

Kale is also on the top of Dr. Fuhrman's nutrient density list, he rates it as the most nutrient dense food in the world!
https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx