Decadent raw vegan pie/dessert - ideas?

ljk11

Any ideas for a contest-winning raw vegan pie? I entered a contest last year and didn't win but this year I want to try again.

Last year's winner featured an obscene amount of coconut oil/butter and cocoa I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's for a contest then it's worth the trouble to go through this for the crust. Too many raw pies have really dense, wet crusts.

For a drier, less oily crust (using almonds, although some other nuts may work well) soak the almonds for about 6 hours and then remove the skins. Removing the skins gives a more delicate texture.

Next, dehydrate the almonds until dry.

I then process the almonds until fine and add chopped dates. Don't soak the dates first. You'll need to use really fresh dates at room temperature. If you were to try this with unsoaked, un-dehydrated almonds then they would turn to almond butter before you added the dates, yielding a dense, oily crust. Essentially, the above process makes almond flour/meal.

Good luck with the contest.

Lotus, I have an idea for a good raw pecan pie. I'll have to test it on Isaac first.

Well, I withdrew from the contest.

My kitchen is under renovation and I have no place to prepare it. The event was the day after the new cupboards will be installed. Bah, too much hassle.

I entered last year and my creation was awesome

Here it is if you're interested (I didn't win. Oh well! I had fun and got a package of goodies worth a mint.)

http://www.simplyraw.ca/piecontest/entries.php#17

Just for shits and giggles, I figured out the number of cals in the winning pie. I think the whole pie had about 8000 calories, I kid you not.

• 2 months later...
Well, I withdrew from the contest.

My kitchen is under renovation and I have no place to prepare it. The event was the day after the new cupboards will be installed. Bah, too much hassle.

I entered last year and my creation was awesome

Here it is if you're interested (I didn't win. Oh well! I had fun and got a package of goodies worth a mint.)

http://www.simplyraw.ca/piecontest/entries.php#17

Just for shits and giggles, I figured out the number of cals in the winning pie. I think the whole pie had about 8000 calories, I kid you not.

Are you in Ottawa??