Did you ever sprout buckwheat grains?

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

gkleinman
Manatee

#16 Postby gkleinman » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Heather (my wife) surprised me this morning with an amazing breakfast using the sprouted groats. It was from Annie Pho's cookbook.

Basically:

Buckwheat Groats
Goji Berries
Bananas
Peaches
Fig

Put a little nut milk over it and it was heavenly!! Ate it so fast I forgot that I probably should have snapped a pic of it both for this thread and the potter's pot thread!

DV
Elephant

#17 Postby DV » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:57 pm

ljk11 wrote:
ljk11 wrote:In the continuing buckwheat sprout saga...I actually ground them in my new juicer :D and mixed in carrot pulp (from the juice, can't waste any part of my veggies!) and am now making crackers in the dehydrator!!

This was a spectacular failure. Tasted like a cross between sawdust and dirt. :(

I ALWAYS taste the "batter" before dehydrating crackers. I will assume that you did not season the crackers with salt, lemon, raw shoyu, ect. Just like wheat flour and carrots wouldn't taste good as a cracker, neither will plain buckwheat and carrot without some seasoning.

Additionally, I haven't made crackers out of ground buckwheat groats as a base but I've used other grains. I still usually add some soaked flax seeds. Perhaps you should try different tried-n-true recipes before making some up on your own? Just an idea. I truly understand how frustrating it is to put that much time into a recipe that doesn't work out in the end!

ljk11
Manatee

#18 Postby ljk11 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:04 am

I have made my own flax crackers without a recipe and they were awesome!! So usually my little wing-its turn out....this was a rarity :)

lotus
Manatee

#19 Postby lotus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Don't get discouraged though! I have not worked with Buckwheat very much but from what I hear it is not easy. So try, try again!

the Asocial Ape
Manatee

#20 Postby the Asocial Ape » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:27 am

i've never sprouted it. but in WV, we grew three or four acres of it every year for the deer to eat.

the only time i've ever eaten it is in buckwheat cakes at the Preston COunty Buckwheat Festival.

http://www.prestoncounty.com/pcbfgallery.htm

Return to “Vegan Recipes”