Food Dehydrator- recipies how to use?

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

phillipeb
Gorilla

Food Dehydrator- recipies how to use?

#1 Postby phillipeb » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:28 am

I recently inherited a food dehydrator. I have no idea how to really use it of any recipes for it. Any ideas? I know it will be dead usefull at the end of summer next year because i can dry a lot of fruit for the winter months. I have a new blender as well. I know these are the two legs of the holy trinity of raw food items. Any help would be appreciated

dontxhide
Gorilla

#2 Postby dontxhide » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:10 pm

If you go to www.goneraw.com they have many many dehydrator recipes. You can even click on recipes you want to search for that use just a bit of preperation and a dehydrator only.
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. ~Bruce Lee

joelbct
Manatee

#3 Postby joelbct » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:03 pm

I made dried apples with the white stackable nesco dehydrator. Absolutely delicious, soo much better than storebought.

Here is the link for the nesco dehydrator cookbook, with instructions:

http://www.nesco.com/files/pdf/dehydrat ... igest_.pdf

The key is follow the instructions. Timing and even slicing are key.

Also, pre-soak apple slices in a vitamin c solution to prevent them from turning brown. Buy ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder at a health food store or online. Apples work best when you peel them as well. And buying an apple corer saves time. Obviously, best to start with fresh, in season apples. Green ones work the best for dehydrating.

The whole process takes a little while, but once you get into the swing of things, it goes quickly, and the results are well worth it.

Octopussoir
Elephant

#4 Postby Octopussoir » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Ill tell you one thing... your fruit wont turn out like the stuff in stores. Why? All the dried fruit you buy in stores has sugar on it! The sugar is what keeps it from shrinking and shriveling. I have a dehydrator. I went for months making different things. One thing you can make is fruit rollups. Just pour in apple sauce and turn it on. Thats it!
robert cheeke wrote:life's too short to not get SWOL!

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#5 Postby Odidnetne » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Octopussoir wrote:Ill tell you one thing... your fruit wont turn out like the stuff in stores. Why? All the dried fruit you buy in stores has sugar on it! The sugar is what keeps it from shrinking and shriveling. I have a dehydrator. I went for months making different things. One thing you can make is fruit rollups. Just pour in apple sauce and turn it on. Thats it!

That sounds awesome, I would have never thought of that.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

ljk11
Manatee

#6 Postby ljk11 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:31 pm

banana chips!!
Easy
Delicious
For the win!!

phillipeb
Gorilla

#7 Postby phillipeb » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I look forward to eating some delicous treats soon!

Return to “Vegan Recipes”