Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:55 pm 
Elephant

I saw it in a bookstore, it's not easy to find it in Montreal/Canada and was pretty expensive, especially for a cookbook with almost no pictures ! It was the samething with the 2 or 3 other books from the same authors. So of course I didn't buy it. In the last couple of weeks I've experimented so much with vegan recipes of all sorts found on the web that I can now just improvize and play with ingredients without any predetermined recipe. I substitute all margarine and oils for tofu, banana, rice milk, etc and sugar by fruits, stevia or natural sweeteners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 am 
Rabbit

I'm Your Man wrote:
. I substitute all margarine and oils for tofu, banana, rice milk, etc and sugar by fruits, stevia or natural sweeteners.

Good for you! FatFreeVegan.com has a lot of recipes that do that too. My only problem with rice milk is the oil in it. I've been using oat milk as of late, but even that has Carageenan (sp?), which I've heard is not too good...

Check out my blog entry about Robert: http://www.thetravelingvegetarian.tv/but-wait-arent-vegans-emaciated-weaklings/

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:25 pm 
Rabbit

kailla wrote:
Vegan Planet is my absolute favorite cookbook...and I have ALOT of cookbooks!

OH MY GOSH YES! A friend got me this for my birthday and I swear I've never prepared so many consecutive meals from the same cookbook in my life. LOVE IT! And I tell her this all the time...

How It All Vegan is a nice one, pretty simple, didn't feel like there were many entrees in it.

Loved a few of the recipes in The Volumptuous Vegan, but because they're lumped together as meals it's hard to search around for just side dishes or just entrees, and they are detailed, more labor-intensive recipes. I had to buy the book because I'd take it out from the library and not want to use it everyday and would only get around to a few recipes before I had to return it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am 
Elephant

DV wrote:

Quote:
*Christina Cooks and Cooking the Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello - Now, she has fish in the second book (which was written first) so be forewarned. And she got it stuck in her head that canola oil is bad - which I completely disagree with. However, if you want something that uses no refined anything (think lots of whole wheat pastry flour and brown rice syrup and miso paste) then these will do.

the new "cooking the whole foods way" is supposed to be completely vegan. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Whole-Foo ... 252&sr=8-1

but beware on her show and in her books she likes lots of oil. I have those books and am constantly cutting down the oils.