Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?

robert

I like Jennifer Raymond's cookbooks. She is a vegan dietician, but she also knows how to cook. Her recipes have appeared in Dr. Neal Barnard's books.

First, her recipes taste good. Second they come with complete nutrition information. Third, most of the ingredients can be found in regular supermarkets. She also goes easy on the oil. I'm not an anti-fat nazi, but it seems like most vegan cookbooks really load you up on the oil, especially if you use more than one recipe in a meal.

Jo Stepaniaks "The Saucy Vegetarian" is incredibly useful. You can save a bundle by learning to make your own sauces that are quick, taste better, and are healthier than store bought sauces that are much more expensive. As a bonus she teaches you how to alter the recipes to reduce/increase the fat or avoid any ingredient you have a problem with. She also teaches you how to combine basic ingredients and/or left overs to make your own original meals with what you have on hand.

simply heavenly is really good. greek orthodox monks who wrote it. about 1400 recepies.

I'll second simply heavenly. I have a few newer books I make complete recipes from but a lot of my modifications or components (like vegan mayo) come from simply heavenly.

Aside from that, the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook is good as is Authentic Chinese Cuisine for the Contemporary Kitchen. The Horizons cookbook is pretty good but it's one of those that will call for "vegan sausage", "vegan mayo", and "vegan mozzarella" without providing any recipes for those components. If I wanted to go out and buy all these premade substitutes I might as well just use an omni cookbook.

I'm not impressed with Veganomicon, we've made a few things from it so far and only one turned out okay. I've had similarly poor experiences with Moskowitz's previous cookbooks as well.

Choosing a cookbook for someone else is like choosing music or literature. But I'll give some suggestions.

Gourmet

*The Artful Vegan and The Millenium Cookbook by Eric Tucker - Sometimes I just make one component of a dish. You can get really crazy ingredients in San Francisco so some recipes are difficult to reproduce. Also, this book is for those with good kitchen skills. Each recipe has the nutritional info too!

*The Voluptuous Vegan by Myra Kornfeld - She organizes the book by soups, main menus and desserts - sophisticated dishes.

*ExtraVeganZa by Laura Matthias - Recipes from Phoenix Organic Farm and B&B. I haven't made many of them but they look good.

*The Real Food Daily Cookbook by Ann Gentry - Of the same restaurant. There are two very easy seitan recipes in here. The "chicken" style one uses beans and bean flour - very different but nice for a change.

*The Candle Cafe Cookbook by Joy Pierson and Bart Potenza - I don't really consider this a gourmet cookbook and have found some recipes to be lacking. The restaurant is fabulous but some recipes don't match the quality of the food prepared there. However, there are some great recipes so it's worth a look - good seitan recipes.

Popular and Easier to Prepare

*Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson - With 400 recipes, everyone can find something they like here. I use their Super Rich Vegetable Stock for everything.

*Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero(Veganomicon only) - Isa has a forum so there are a lot of fans out there. The recipes are good and the humor is even better if, like me, you're missing your New York friends.

*How it All Vegan, The Garden of Vegan and La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard (only the first two). - Very basic, very easy. These recipes remind me of the dishes my friends started with when they first left their parent's homes or continue with if they have basic tastes. The authors are fun and I love the sections on uses of baking soda and vinegar. They even have recipes for skin care.

Healthier?

*Christina Cooks and Cooking the Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello - Now, she has fish in the second book (which was written first) so be forewarned. And she got it stuck in her head that canola oil is bad - which I completely disagree with. However, if you want something that uses no refined anything (think lots of whole wheat pastry flour and brown rice syrup and miso paste) then these will do.

*Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen by Lorna Sass - Lots of whole grain and bean recipes for use with a pressure cooker or regular stove top.

*The Vegan Gourmet by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay - Nutritional info with the recipes. Nice recipes and easy to make.

Websites/Blogs

www.BryannaClarkGrogan.com She's written numerous cookbooks and there are lots of recipes on her site.

www.RandomGirl.com/recipes.html Definitely not too healthy but the recipes are really good and consistent.

www.FatFreeVegan.com Very popular site. Some recipes aren't too healthy but I think it started as a blog idea so her blog recipes usually have nutritional info - I think.

www.VeganLunchBox.com/recipes.html Great if you have small children.

www.VeganChef.com Lots of recipes. I haven't used this site much.

www.YeahThatVeganShit.blogspot.com I love this blog but you might not. However, there is a large community of foodies out there and they all link to other blogs so you might find one you like. The great thing is that you sometimes get critiques on recipes from different cookbooks or websites. And you get pictures of food with recipes at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend vegan vittles since it has really basic recipes, nothing difficult or time consuming.

Vegan with a vengeance is also very good, I don´t like veganomicon all that much because those recipes I´ve tried are too time consuming in general, on most days I don´t have time to cook for hours. Other than that the recipes are very good.

I would love to find a vegan cookbook which focuses on protein rich dishes.

Out of all the vegan cookbooks I own Veganomicon has become my favorite. TONS of recipes and most of them are pretty dang tasty.

I have a few omni coworkers who have been cooking from this book for the past month. It was on back order for awhile! I've been happy with the recipes that I've tried.

I would have to say that i am an unenthusiastic cook and with the preface these books suit me just fine with there basic ease and approachable ingredients

vegan planet: this for me is the only book i will probably ever need it is simple and has over 400 recipies, sometimes they are a little heavy on the fats but once you have made them once you can modify them according to your own tastes

vegan with a vengence: its like that friend who does so much with so little, tasty and on the cheap good stuff.

then i just use recipezar if i want anything specific.

The only thing i think im missing to complete my basic cooking skills is a 4 item baking bread cookbook.

I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet )

• 3 months later...

" How it all vegan"

So many recipes...even recipes for cats and dogs...a list of animal ingredients to avoid...and a way to make everything from household cleaning supplies to makeup...SCORE!!!

I got it as a gift for my birthday...from bunch of omni's at work I thought that was sweet. I made them vegan chocolate chip cookies with the book as a thanks.

I am planning on producing my own Vegan Cookbook. A healthy eating book with a Nintendo theme. What better way to get kids to go vegan and eat healthy then by telling them to eat Spinach Green Luigi Whole Wheat Pizza or Super Mario Salad( Just made it up now so I'm not sure what it would have yet )

I swear to God that if you create that my husband would go vegan to try it. He's such a Nintendo nut!

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is a healthier edition of THE classic. When it was first published in 1975 "vegans" were known as "vegetarians." The Farm, Stephen Gaskin and Ina May Gaskin are cultural gems for many reasons besides being vegan pioneers. The recipes are simple. I've multiplied some of these recipes to feed hundreds at a time. If you want the real American home cooking bible that started it all for the masses, this is the one for you.

YES! Yes! Yes and YES! Yay John V for mentioning it before me! As I scrolled through the post I was shocked noone mentioned this cookbook. It's our definite go-to book for everything! There aren't complicated or "vegan version" ingredients. All you'll find are simple and extremely satisfying meals! We love the pizza recipe, whole wheat bread recipe, tvp "spaghetti balls", brownies...all of it! Delish!

People always raved about the cakes I'd make for 2oo+ servings using the Farm Cookbook. (reduce soda or baking powder when multiplying cake size!) Some of the real toothringing sweets didn't make it to the later editions. I quit sweets 5 years ago but still make some for others at birthday parties.

It is a great reference book for vegans new and old.

Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I really like Fresh by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal Brown, Vegan with a Vengeance, and Dreena Burton's Vive Le Vegan. Mostly I just make up my own recipes anymore.